Happy Birthday Talltree!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What fish/ shrimp should I get for my 3 gallon tank?

• Betta

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Endlers guppies

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Regular guppies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aussie native Shrimp

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
Some excellent pics!

Liking it all.

Mantis is tiny and sweet looking thing. Lucky you!

Set up looking good! What's that floating in top left corner of your tank? Is that the floating weed you spoke of?

Anyway, all cool! Nice one!

I like your mantis shrimp,
wink.png
  I need a few around here because right now I am being invaded by locusts. Which my cat believes are the purrfect (
rolleyes.gif
 ) play toy.

Your tanks looking good, and your in luck to have a berried red nose. One of my female red noses was berried the other day so I need to keep an eye out for extras getting about in the tank in the next few weeks/ months. From memory to ensure that most of our native shrimp juvi's survive you need to have mulm in the tank,  but the IAL will go a long way towards helping any juvi's survive.

keep us posted with your progress.

Oh and an interesting native shrimp that you might want to also try once you crack the chameleons and red noses is Caridina zebra also known as zebra shrimp. Beautiful
wub.png

Athena is absolutely adorable! :wub:
I really like the red nose shrimp, and your tank looks great!
Am also wondering what is floating in the top left >.<

Thanks for all the feedback! :) 
The thing in the top left corner is a leaf. The shrimp seem to like it. From what I've observed the RNs are definitely more outgoing with the chamos being more shy. They're both adorable!

The tanks filter has cleaned up lots of the weed plant.  
I am feeling great about the berried shrimp. A chamo is berried as week as a few RNs. 

Athena is so small I need to buy pinhead crickets tomorrow to feed her. The normal sized ones are bigger than her. 
Boy, when she's grown she'll be able to tear through the crickets. :devil:

How long are shrimps berried before having the babies/ eggs (total 
noob here. I don't think they're live bearers though) ?

I'll get a video tomorrow and hopefully some better pics of atheNa. :snap:

Should I feed the shrimp today or let them keep on chewing the algae?

Wow, the shrimp look so cool! So do the snails! :nod:

The tanks looking great! :good:

Dumb question...What type of mantis is Athena?

Blondielovesfish said:
Wow, the shrimp look so cool! So do the snails!
yes.gif

The tanks looking great!
good.gif

Dumb question...What type of mantis is Athena?
Thanks! :)

athena is is a ( heirodula majuscula ) giant rainforest mantis. Nymph. XD
Sh hails from rainforests in Queensland  and is the most powerfully built species in Australia. She doesn't look it at the moment being only a few weeks old but she'll grow to 3 inches, lime green and muscly hopefully.  

I can't can't get her to eat which is annoying. I'm getting some pinhead crickets tomorrow so hopefully she'll eat them. 

Baccus or TT, do you know if it is illegal to export Aussie shrimp?

TLM,

Exporting native household pets
In general, Australian native animals are not permitted to leave Australia. This is to protect and conserve Australian native wildlife.
But you may be able to take some native pets overseas as long as they will not be used for commercial purposes such as selling or trading. If you would like to take your pet with you when you leave Australia, you must:
  • be an Australian resident or ordinarily reside in Australia
  • have owned and kept the animal as a household pet
  • be leaving Australia with the intention of taking up permanent residence in another country.
Native household pets that may be taken internationally are listed below. All have a limit of three animals, except budgerigars and cockatiels, which are limited to a non-commercial quantity:
  • Sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
  • Galah (Eolophus roseicapillus)
  • Little corella (Cacatua sanguinea)
  • Long-billed corella (Cacatua tenuirostris)
  • Cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus)
  • Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus).
Pet fish and pet cockroaches/spiders can be exported if sourced from an approved source.
No other native Australian animal may be taken outside Australia as a household pet.

source:
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/live/household-pets.html#native

Shame. I like the look of the red-nosed shrimp.

A tad extreme just for a shrimp.

Really can't get over those shrimp! :wub:
Or Athena, what a cutie! I was wondering, and this is probably a stupid question, when she's full grown can she hurt you? Or would it just feel like a pinch?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back