handling frogs and salamanders

Pointy_kitty

i eat buttons
Reaction score
does it harm a salamander to handle it with clean, product free hands?
i had a beloved salamander that knew me like a mother
i have already told this story but a man found it in a mechanic shop in an greace puddle hissing and standing on its tail like a snake
he hit it with a shovel and my dad caught it, knowing i have a gift with creatures and brought it home
i hand fed it and brought it back from the brink of death
i raised it for many many years and it knew me well and was completely tame
then one day i let him free
i've always wanted another amphibian or something like it
so i was tempted to get another salamander or maybe a frog

my questions:

-does it harm a salamander to handle it with product free hands?
-is there a type of frog that can be handled with clean, product free hands?
-what is the smallest most common type of non-aquatic frog that i could find in canada (near vancouver)
-how much room is enough room?

if someone could give me a rough idea that would be great
if there is nothing that i can find a sufficient home for with the spair tanks i have then i will stick with leaf insects ;)
i love how they just sit on your shirt :lol:

You can handle land frogs.

You can call your local fish and game to see about the frogs.

You can handle land frogs, but it's best not to handle them for long periods of time. I have had several green tree frogs and they are wonderful pets. White's tree frogs are much larger and I have heard they make excellent pets as well. It is a good idea to check out local pet shops to see what is available.

I have never had a salamander, although that is a pet I've always wanted. :D

Good luck!

Salamanders are safe to handle w/ clean hands, just dip them in the water before you touch them or else they get uncomfortable. at least that's w/ all the ones we've ever had.
HTH

I tried to make my hands moist before I handled my white's tree frog and other ones with naturally wet skin. Toads, (land) can be picked up dry handed with no problem, however they will sometimes give off a poisonous secretion that can make your hands red or worse, depending if you are allergic. I've never had any problems with it, but I know a dog who bit one and ended up throwing up for hours... :sick:

Some newts & salamanders give off poisonous / irritating secretions. The red eft (pretty) and the rough-skinned newt (gorgeous, in N.Western rivers) come to mind as particularly poisonous. I understand that even the firebelly newt can give off an irritating secretion if it's annoyed.

See http://www.sandiegozoo.org/kids/gotq_firebelly_newt.html and http://www.salmoncreekflora-fauna.org/Amph.../amphibians.htm for info on some newts that secrete toxins.

My understanding is that sallies and newts are the "look but don't touch" sort of pets. Their skin is very delicate and they can be easily harmed, even if their secretions don't harm you. (If you're determined to touch them, I dont' think the marble/spotted salamanders have any irritating secretions.)

If you do decide to handle them, be sure to wash your hands afterwards, and be careful not to touch your face/eyes 'til you've wash your hands.

Leslie

fart fart fart : fart :rofl: fart : fart fart fart: fart : fart fart :rofl: fart : fart :rofl: fart : fart fart fart :rofl: fart fart fart :rofl: fart fart fart :rofl: fart :rofl: fart fart fart fart fart :rofl: fart :rofl: fart fart :rofl:

Land Frogs Oh man I must have been tired when I wrote that reply! 'm sure what I meant was land BASED frogs like Green Frogs and Bull frogs. I didnt mean toads because toads have some pretty nasty toxins in there skin and I wouldnt recomend exposeing yourself to them.

Land Frogs was an idot thing to say so excuse me while I go slam my head in a door.

Most reactions

Back