Guppy variety identification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kiwidu21

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to make platinum guppies from a platinum male and regular females (colorless, wild style). A majority of the males resulting from these reproductions are blue/white with red/orange fins.
Is it a particular variety? I found the neon firetail guppy which looks a lot like it but can I really sell them under this name?

Here are photos / videos even if the quality is not top. The color of the fish is much more vivid in reality.

IMG_20220211_162508.jpg

IMG_20220211_162928.jpg

To be honest, looking at their phenotype, these males are magenta Störzbach with an orange looking tail. Same goes for the ones in the video. Those came from the red scarlet endlers (also known as chili endlers). A part of the male chili endler offspring will be magenta Störzbach instead of red. That's normal. But if you leave them in there, the magenta Störzbach becomes very dominant in passing on. The name neon is used incorrectly. The name "neon" may only be used if the color is fluorescent. Like this male below, for instance.
image1877501.jpg

I do like black marking your males have on their tails.

Thanks for your reponse.
So would you have a trick to get the platinum gene? My male is platinum and the females are classic colorless endler crosses so I'm not sure why I get males of this pattern.

What is the price for this type of guppy? I can't find anything on it at all.

Last edited:
I don't know wether those females used used stored sperm packets from a former mating with another male or males. That could clarify the outcome. Which could mean that your platinum male is not the father. But it could also mean that the phenotypical traits of these males came from the genes of the mother. But you've just mentioned that those females used came from endler crosses. In that case, there might be a diversity in the gene pool as we call it. And the outcome of the offspring when crossed to a complete different male, can be a surprise. If you can not get your hands on a real platinum female, you should try to use virgin females of a strain that carry the genes of her strain recessively. So, that the traits of the male used can become dominant. That's what I've done to create a true breeding line of red platinum guppies. If you just use females without knowing wether they still carry sperm packets of a former mating of another male, you just can't be sure if the desired platinum male will be the father of the offspring.

What is the price for this type of guppy? I can't find anything on it at all.
I won't be so much with this phenotype. Most will see them as being mutt guppies.

I won't be so much with this phenotype. Most will see them as being mutt guppies.
But hey, there are also people who are really willing to pay what you'll ask for them. I didn't want to scare you off, btw... ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back