Guppy Seems To Be Bullying My Molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lozalove4u

Reaction score
It seems every time I look in the tank one of my guppys, Ariel (one of my first fishes I brought) is constantly following the Molly and looks like he is trying to nip at her side fin. Is this something I can try and stop. Took a Pakistani loach back because it was doing the same thing. My Molly is white so could they be attracted to the colour???

very confused??

i have a similar problem my dalmation molly chases my 2 platys around the tank and tries to nip there fins this for me occurs just after they hae been fed they then all calm down and go back to swimming peacefully around the tank.
Does this happen to you at the same time or all the time??

i have a similar problem my dalmation molly chases my 2 platys around the tank and tries to nip there fins this for me occurs just after they hae been fed they then all calm down and go back to swimming peacefully around the tank.

It actually happens all the time which is frustrating ... keep trying to distract it as really dont want my molly to die if he is nipping her fins.

It seems every time I look in the tank one of my guppys, Ariel (one of my first fishes I brought) is constantly following the Molly and looks like he is trying to nip at her side fin. Is this something I can try and stop. Took a Pakistani loach back because it was doing the same thing. My Molly is white so could they be attracted to the colour???

very confused??
Is she pregnant, by any chance? Males are attracted to the pregnancy hormone, and they will nip the sides near her anal fin. It sounds like typical male behavior to me. If you think it's getting too stressful for the Molly (especially if she is very pregnant), could you seperate them? Also, try adding rocks/plants/wood etc. so the Molly has some place to hide.

Mollies are naturally more aggressive then most other fish, so s/he is probably just being aggressive over food. It's pretty normal. Just make sure the Platies do get some food, and the Molly isn't doing any damage. :) Adding more plants and decorations for the Platies might help too.

We have three plants in there at the moment so there are loads of places to hide. How long are fish pregnant for as we have had her for about a month now. Was thinking of investing in a small tank anyway to separate the guppy from the others but if the Molly is pregnant, I might place her in there.

And the problem is.... They're in a 30l Biorb. Not big enough for any of the fish, even the smallest species. And especially the loach...

And the problem is.... They're in a 30l Biorb. Not big enough for any of the fish, even the smallest species. And especially the loach...

Since reading stuff on this forum, I think i've realised that I will need to take the loach back. When we first brought it, the maximum it said we could have was 12 but I now know that we should have waited a while.

Could this be the reason for the guppys behaviour?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back