Guppy not spreading its tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

teresajency

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 15-gallon tank and 30 guppies in it. Their water ph and ammonia in a moderate level, I also have a sponge filter running 24/7, But recently 1 female guppy who is not spreading its tail, and 2-3 males are also starting not to spread their tail. I am guessing they are doing this for they want to rest and do less movement in the water. Can anyone suggest anything whether there is any problem or not?

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_215802.jpg
    IMG_20210519_215802.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20210519_215934.jpg
    IMG_20210519_215934.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20210519_220051.jpg
    IMG_20210519_220051.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 87
Hi, I have a 15-gallon tank and 30 guppies in it. Their water ph and ammonia in a moderate level, I also have a sponge filter running 24/7, But recently 1 female guppy who is not spreading its tail, and 2-3 males are also starting not to spread their tail. I am guessing they are doing this for they want to rest and do less movement in the water. Can anyone suggest anything whether there is any problem or not?
no it is stress
thats far too many guppies for a 15g
what are your parameters?
you should upgrade to like a 30-50g so the guppies can live like that, or put some up for adoption/sell

it's not stress due to too many guppies is down to water quality

with 30 guppies in a 15 gallon tank you need to do regular water changes of about 50% twice a week

but... what are your parameters?
by stress i mean stress by high ammonia or whatever, not like fighting fish
My aquarium is 2 feet length, 1-foot height, and 1-foot breadth. I won't be able to sell any guppies currently. So, I will change the water by 50% twice a week.

My aquarium is 2 feet length, 1-foot height, and 1-foot breadth. I won't be able to sell any guppies currently. So, I will change the water by 50% twice a week.
sorry, i meant like water params.
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
gh
kh

sorry, i meant like water params.
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
ph
gh
kh
I assume the water quality is moderate. I don't have the testing kits. That's why I use drinking tap water for the aquarium. I use water conditioners, blue dye and medium amount of blue salt.

I assume the water quality is moderate. I don't have the testing kits. That's why I use drinking tap water for the aquarium. I use water conditioners, blue dye and medium amount of blue salt.
what is the dyes and salt for? lol
im starting to think this is a troll thread ( no offense)

no, no go to your fish store and bring a little cup of the water let them test it for you. tell us the results

A testing kit is, more or less, necessary. It allows you to tell if or when something's gone wrong with your tank. Like Slaphppy7 has said, this could easily be due to ammonia poisoning. But you won't be able to tell if you don't have a test kit.

Why are you using blue dye?

I assume the water quality is moderate. I don't have the testing kits. That's why I use drinking tap water for the aquarium.
The drinking tap water would be safe as soon as it is added to the tank. But fish poop ammonia and unless there are enough ammonia eating bacteria in the tank, the ammonia level will start to rise and poison the fish. 30 guppies in a 15 gallon gallon tank is a lot of fish which means they poop a lot of ammonia. If there are any ammonia eating bacteria, they will turn the ammonia into nitrite which is also toxic.
There may be enough of these ammonia eating and nitrite eating bacteria in the tank, but there may not. The only way to tell is by testing the water for ammonia and nitrite.

Clamped fins are typical symptoms of ammonia and/or nitrite in the water which is why everyone has been asking how much ammonia & nitrite there is in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back