Guppy Looks Bloated

carrera

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey guys, not posted on here for a while but i recently got a new tank set up and thought id pop back.

i had a couple of deaths in my new tank; lost 2 guppies and a platy which im putting down to whitespot which i think was introduced from one of the lfs's that i got my new fish from. (i stocked my tank from about four separate places).

ive since treated the whitespot with salt and heat and the rest of the fish are doing better now but theres one guppy that im still concerned about. he seems active and is eating and isnt acting out of character but hes looking pretty bloated and his gills look open. im quite sure hes been like that since i got him, but im unsure if hes gotten bigger or if his gills seem 'wider'. he doesnt have sticking out fins and like i said he seems happy enough, so im ruling out dropsy but i thought id upload some pics and see what the community thought. sorry about the quality but im yet to master fish photography :)

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5
pic6
pic7
pic8
pic9

stats for anyone whos interested:

22 (uk) gallon
4 platys
3 guppies
2 swordtails
1 bristlenose pleco

readings as of this morning:
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 10ppm
ph: 7.5
temperature: 29.5C (whitespot treatment)

well ive only looked at the first 5 pics and that looks like a pregnant female to me :)

yea looked at the rest of the photos and the tail is exact shape to my to pregnant females

The last image in your list is almost definitely a male. I don't see him as swollen the way you might with the group of symptoms that we call dropsy.

LittleEmma16, we do not use tail shape to determine the gender of any livebearer. In the case of a guppy, we look for a gonopodium to indicate a male. There seems to be a gonopodium in that last picture, but all of the pictures are too blurry to be certain about much of anything except that the fish in the picture is not carrying fry.

Most reactions

Back