Guppy Fry Swimming Odd/dying.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am trying to type this as fast as possible so it will be really short and to the point.

I bred guppies about a month ago, I only got 12 because that was how much was left when I got home. I guess the others were eaten. 

I put them in a 10 gallon growout heated and sponge filtered, they are living fine and healthy now and are much bigger than before. My other guppies and fish had babies so I moved the bigger fry into a newer 10 gallon tank. It  wasn't cycled, I put cycled water in it and waited a day, put the fish in as well as some plants, dechlor, and some rocks with cycled materials. They were all fine, I actually only moved 8, and today I looked and saw 4 of them sick. 1 looked dead he was sitting at the bottom swimming upside down gasping, it looked like. the other was at the top swimming vertically, the other two looked more lke sword tails because they had their fins closed but I'm guessing that's just genetics for tiny tail. The other two I have in a separate bowl, here is a video of how they look. The one on the bottom sometimes struggles to move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGqFogQNIXQ

Usually, if a fish swims with what looks like a heavy tail, it means complications with their swim bladder. Clamped tails are a sign of stress, and it looks like the fry in the video has red gills. (I may be wrong, my internet is being weird and glitching videos). Red gills are related to ammonia poisoning. Cycled water & decor isn't enough to cycle an aquarium, so there may be problems with the water. What are the parameters?

Hopefully they'll be okay. c:

maybe they don't have enough oxygen
anyway, hope they get better soon
Best wishes,
GML

Have you tested for ammonia/nitrite ?

If you don't have a cycled filter in the tank or bowl, this is the most likely explanation. Water does not cycle, nor will rocks and decor hold enough bacteria to keep the water in good condition.

Fry are very sensitive to water conditions. You can try doing massive water changes, making sure the new water is temperature matched and dechlorinated, but I'm afraid it's probably too late.

I know how to cycle a tank, but before I thought old water from my other cycled aquariums would cycle a new tank...

1 fish passed, 1 is recovering and all are now safe in a cycled tank.

Yes it was the ammonia. I believe it was .25/.50 PPM. I have the aqueon master test kit.

cooledwhip said:
I know how to cycle a tank, but before I thought old water from my other cycled aquariums would cycle a new tank...

For future reference, there are virtually no bacteria floating lose in the water, so water won't cycle a tank at all. To 'instantly cycle' a tank, you need mature filter media from your main filter, in a new filter in the new tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back