Guppy Fin Rot, Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jessman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a tank full of platys and guppies, a two or three guppies have died over the past few months due to old age. So i bought 5 new ones today from the lfs, 3 females and 2 males. ( ratio of all guppies in my tank are 3:1) in the lfs the males and females are kept seperately, i noticed after a few hours of getting them that all 3 females had fin/tail rot but i wasnt too sure, but i've just had a look at the tank and the guppies tails are all torn and covered in white so im sure its fin rot and two were very close to dying (floating but still alive). I have never had tail rot in my tank before and my other fishes are very healthy so its not a problem in my tank. I took them out and put them in a seperate tank staright away and they arent looking good.
Obviously the lfs has a tail rot problem in their female tank, if they know about it i have no clue. First thing tomorrow i am going to give them a call and complain. But what i want to know is, because the females have been in the main tank for a few hours, will my other fishes get tail rot? Is it contagious? And what do i do if it is contagious?
Help asap would be very much appreciated! Thank you

First off, do a large water change.  I would do at least a 50% water change, go bigger if you feel like you need to.  As you're doing the water change, add salt into the new water, then add the new water in.  I have heard 1 teaspoon per gallon should work.  If it doesn't add more using the same technique.  Never add salt directly to an aquarium.

You can also add Melafix to your tank.  If I ever have fin-related injuries, I add Melafix, even with salt.  I've personally found Melafix to be largely useful and sucessful.  Take out carbon if you plan to use Melafix.

During treatment, do frequent water changes.  Remember when you take water out, you're also taking salt out, so add the appropriate amount back in when doing water changes.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Thanks for your help, ill do a water change with salt in the main aquarium. I took a look at the 3 females this morning and all are dead unfortunately, and so are the 2 males in the main tank!! I will be sure NEVER to get anything else from that store again.I just sincerely hope it won't affect any of my other guppies or platys.

In my experience, some stores just get a bad batch of fish.  If you have a long standing relationship with your LFS then don't let one purchase ruin it.  I've gotten fish that were already doomed from my LFS, but 99% of the other fish were clean.

One thing to consider about your LFS is do they have multiple tanks running on one filter, or does every tank have its own filtration?  My most trusted LFS has one power filter and one sponge filter for every tank.  This really keeps fish healthy and prevents spread of disease. 

My most mistrusted LFS has literally every tank on one big filtering apparatus.  Every tank in there has Ich spots and they really don't care.  Dead fish means people come back to get more.  Unfortunately, they have a much greater selection than my trusted LFS.
My local Petco has sets of six tanks all running under one filter.

The point is, separate tanks means cleaner, healthier fish.  Try and see what their set up is.  Don't lose faith in your LFS if this is the only time you've gotten bad fish.  Might just be a bad batch.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention quarantine tanks (QT) or hospital tank.

If you have supplies and means to set one up, do so.  It will save lots of fishes' lives.  Put new and sick fish into the tank for observation and treatment.  Quarantine your new fish for two weeks before putting them into the main tank.  Use it also to isolate and treat sick fish.

Check out this thread for more detailed: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/128869-the-hospital-tank/

I don't really have a long standing relationship with this store, so i'm not really concerned about that. I think i'll buy fish from my nearest Pets at Home store next time, and to replace the now dead ones. Even though it is a pain to buy fish there as they give you 20Q and need details of everything and act as if you have no experience in fish, BUT the fish are clearly healthier and better looked after, they obviously only need so much detail for the welfare of the fish which is good. 
I have no clue how the filtration works at the lfs, i saw a glimpse of a large box with a little water in it and a load of tubes going in and out of it under all of the tanks, so i dont know if that is what it is or not?
I was thinking also the fin rot may be from the breeder itself and the fish had caught it before going to the lfs?
And another question, the red male guppy that died in the night, it had a lovely red tail, but now, dead, it has a black/blue filled V in the middle of it? No clue as to what it might be

I know the feeling when going to a LFS and they assume you don't know much.  I actually don't mind it because I know they are willing to give help to beginners, which I truly truly appreciate.  After I start going for a while and talking them, they realize I know what I'm talking about and eventually stop giving me lectures.

What really gets me is when some employees tell you things that you know are not true.  For instance, my LFS hired a new employee, and she tried to tell me I could keep a brackish puffer fish in my freshwater community tank.  Yikes...

Yes thats so true! I think some employees need more training on fish and pets before giving anyone advice, it could be dangerous if they don't know what they're talking about. 
All I'm hoping is now that the new male betta i bought from the same place yesterday (not the same tank) will be ok, he has his own 25l bowl heated and filtered. he seems happy and has no signs of disease so cross fingers!! 
unsure.png

If you're worried, a small bit a salt is never bad for scaled fish, such as your betta.  This will make the fish's slime coat healthier and of course will help with fin repair.

I know they are "freshwater" fish, but a dash of salt can really go a long way!

would table salt do the job do you think? 

Some table salts are iodized, meaning they have iodine added to them as an anti-caking agent.  I have heard claims that this is bad for your fish.  I have also heard that it is perfectly fine to use table salt so I'm not sure.  I've never looked into it myself.

I once went to my LFS and explained one of their mollies caused an Ich outbreak and an employee gave me a big bag of API aquarium salt for free.  Since then, I've been using that and never had to worry about using table salt or not.  :)

Ahhh ok, i think i'll look into some aquarium salt, thanks!
biggrin.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back