Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Guppy care?

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by Here There be Dragons, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Here There be Dragons

Hi. This is my first post here, or on any forum. I was considering getting a group of guppies and was wondering if they would do well in a five gallon tank along with one nerite snail. If so, how many? The snail is already established in the tank. Would they become aggressive if there were only males? If I had males and females, would the fry overpopulate and crowd the tank? The tank is pretty bare right now but I would change the decor and such to suit thier needs. Thanks.

2. seangee

seangee Member

I'm afraid a 5G tank is not suitable for guppies. Its too small, in fact its too small for any fish except a single betta.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Here There be Dragons

Okay. Thank you very much. I have a betta in a seperate tank. What about in a 10 gallon? Would the fry over populate it?

4. Deanasue

Deanasue Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

I would suggest a 20 gallon long if you plan to keep some of the fry. Eventually you will have to find a local fish store to them off your hands though. They have babies about once a month.

5. Here There be Dragons

Since guppies are out for the five gallon, would a betta be the only suitable fish?

6. FishFinatic77

FishFinatic77 Fish Crazy

Yeah, a betta is pretty much the only fish that would fit in a 5 gallon. Some nano fish such as ember tetras and chilli rasboras may be able to fit in a 5 gallon, but I don't know much about nano fish so I could be wrong.

7. essjay

essjay Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

It also depends on the hardness of your water. Guppies need hard water while most of the so-called nano species are soft water fish.

8. seangee

seangee Member

Nope - most of the nano species need a 15G. Some people keep them in a 10 but no way in a 5.

9. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Herder
    Pet of the Month Winner!

I agree, no way possible to keep guppies in a 5 gallon, as @Deanasue mentioned above, ^, it would be a lot more reasonable to keep guppies in a 20 gallon long. They are very active, and they need a lot of swimming space. I hope this was helpful! :)

10. Here There be Dragons

Thank you all. I do have a 20 gallon long set up and vacant, but it is being reserved for an axolotl. I guess guppies will have to wait.

11. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZ Fish Herder
    Pet of the Month Winner!

Do you have a chiller for your Axolotl? I'm no expert, but I have heard that if their water gets to high in temperature, they will die. :)

12. Here There be Dragons

I do not have a chiller. I am 13 so I don't have a job. They are incredibly expensive. I do have an airconditioned room (My room is tiny and is being taken over by tanks) and an aquarim fan along with a mesh lid. That's going to be the hardest thing about keeping Lizzy.(it's name) when I get her in a couple months, I will do my best to keep it cool. I have heard of insulating the tank to help with tempurature. Do you know how I could do that?

13. FishFinatic77

FishFinatic77 Fish Crazy

Ok, thanks for correcting me. Like I said, I wasn't sure. :)