What's new

Guppy care?

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post here, or on any forum. I was considering getting a group of guppies and was wondering if they would do well in a five gallon tank along with one nerite snail. If so, how many? The snail is already established in the tank. Would they become aggressive if there were only males? If I had males and females, would the fry overpopulate and crowd the tank? The tank is pretty bare right now but I would change the decor and such to suit thier needs. Thanks.

seangee

Reaction score
I'm afraid a 5G tank is not suitable for guppies. Its too small, in fact its too small for any fish except a single betta.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I would suggest a 20 gallon long if you plan to keep some of the fry. Eventually you will have to find a local fish store to them off your hands though. They have babies about once a month.

FishFinatic77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yeah, a betta is pretty much the only fish that would fit in a 5 gallon. Some nano fish such as ember tetras and chilli rasboras may be able to fit in a 5 gallon, but I don't know much about nano fish so I could be wrong.

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
It also depends on the hardness of your water. Guppies need hard water while most of the so-called nano species are soft water fish.

seangee

Reaction score
Yeah, a betta is pretty much the only fish that would fit in a 5 gallon. Some nano fish such as ember tetras and chilli rasboras may be able to fit in a 5 gallon, but I don't know much about nano fish so I could be wrong.
Nope - most of the nano species need a 15G. Some people keep them in a 10 but no way in a 5.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
I agree, no way possible to keep guppies in a 5 gallon, as @Deanasue mentioned above, ^, it would be a lot more reasonable to keep guppies in a 20 gallon long. They are very active, and they need a lot of swimming space. I hope this was helpful! :)

OP
Here There be Dragons
Reaction score
Thank you all. I do have a 20 gallon long set up and vacant, but it is being reserved for an axolotl. I guess guppies will have to wait.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Do you have a chiller for your Axolotl? I'm no expert, but I have heard that if their water gets to high in temperature, they will die. :)

OP
Here There be Dragons
Reaction score
I do not have a chiller. I am 13 so I don't have a job. They are incredibly expensive. I do have an airconditioned room (My room is tiny and is being taken over by tanks) and an aquarim fan along with a mesh lid. That's going to be the hardest thing about keeping Lizzy.(it's name) when I get her in a couple months, I will do my best to keep it cool. I have heard of insulating the tank to help with tempurature. Do you know how I could do that?