guppies with back problems?

gi4get

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can ornimental guppies develop "back" problems? i've noticed that some male guppies have massive tails and what look like curved spines. is this normal or a serious health issue? if it is a problem, what can be done to help them? thanks for your help :)

Curved spines can mean a couple of things, perhaps the fish in question is a female and has just given birth?

I have had something similar to this once before, importantly it is not contagious, my guppies made it through, just ensure that they are able to get the food and it is ground up quite fine (treat the fish like fry).

It is true that some fry get clamping in the tail and lose all sense of mobility and die within a week, but the problem you describe does not sound like this.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Inter breeding and white spot can cause spinal deformities.

I have a baby Guppies that is 2 months old and it has a spine problem..

Its eating and swimming fine, :)

The only problem is I cant tell the sex of this one I guess cause of the curve spine

im not sure if i belive the inter breeding at all but i would just treat them like fry what william said and g/l with them

I'm almost 100% sure its inter breeding. The fish simply inherit genetically transmitted abnormalites over a few generations. I'm actually studying genetics in Biology just now and its just reinforced my status. Thats why when I want to breed I buy fish from different stores to mix the genetics. ;) Good lUCk

Most reactions

Back