Guppies & Water Current

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mewhorse

Reaction score
Not really a beginner but seemed like a good place to post my question: can guppies handle a fair amount of water current or do they need fairly still water? I have a bubble wall & a fluval intank filter with air/water thingy on maximum flow so the water is quite rough ( fish love it though - lots of oxygen and very active!) Would guppies be able to handle this or would their fins cause swimming problems? Would like to get a few pretty male snakeskins but don't want them to get knocked around too much!

Not really a beginner but seemed like a good place to post my question: can guppies handle a fair amount of water current or do they need fairly still water? I have a bubble wall & a fluval intank filter with air/water thingy on maximum flow so the water is quite rough ( fish love it though - lots of oxygen and very active!) Would guppies be able to handle this or would their fins cause swimming problems? Would like to get a few pretty male snakeskins but don't want them to get knocked around too much!

Depends on the guppy, the longer the tail and smaller the guppy the more prone they are to not coping well with strong currents- but it can vary a lot.
My advise would be to buy the guppys (mixed gender groups are best, 1male to every 2-3 or more females) if your tank can hold them well, and see how they do- if any splits appear in the fins and the guppy looks unwell, its often a sign the current is too strong so you should lower the strength :) .

Most reactions

Back