Guppies staying at the bottom?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ella777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
All five of my guppies are staying at the bottom of the tank, they havent lost any colour.
I've only noticed them doing this today, I have a feeling I've over stocked the tank.
I am trying to set up the 200l as quickly as possible but things are taking a while to arrive.
Is there a way to speed up the process instead of waiting a month for the bacterias to form?
Should I buy some bacteria liquid to help the water?
Should I add in algae to speed up the process?

Adding fast growing live plants can speed up the process. They suck up the waste from the fish and use it to grow.
But more urgently, do a large water change on the tank the guppies are in now. It's an emergency situation. Change 75% of the water, making sure to use a water conditioner, and to temperature match the new water to the tank temp before adding.

Adding fast growing live plants can speed up the process. They suck up the waste from the fish and use it to grow.
But more urgently, do a large water change on the tank the guppies are in now. It's an emergency situation. Change 75% of the water, making sure to use a water conditioner, and to temperature match the new water to the tank temp before adding.
Do you know why they're doing this though? I changed the water not too long ago and they were fine.

Do you know why they're doing this though? I changed the water not too long ago and they were fine.
I don't know how many fish you have in how much water, or how much you're feeding them, whether there are live plants, or how long "not to long ago" actually is, or how much of the water you changed, and I don't have water test results for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. So no, I can't tell you why they're doing it without a LOT more info.

But, it's a sign that something is seriously wrong, and usually, that something is something to do with the water. Especially since you said the tank is too small. So a large emergency water change will likely at least buy some time for the fish while we figure out any underlying problems, and won't do any harm either. So it can save the lives of the fish, whatever is ailing them.
Do you have a water testing kit or dip strips? If so, please take a sample of the old water when you do the water change so you can test it once the water change is done.

I don't know how many fish you have in how much water, or how much you're feeding them, whether there are live plants, or how long "not to long ago" actually is, or how much of the water you changed, and I don't have water test results for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. So no, I can't tell you why they're doing it without a LOT more info.

But, it's a sign that something is seriously wrong, and usually, that something is something to do with the water. Especially since you said the tank is too small. So a large emergency water change will likely at least buy some time for the fish while we figure out any underlying problems, and won't do any harm either. So it can save the lives of the fish, whatever is ailing them.
Do you have a water testing kit or dip strips? If so, please take a sample of the old water when you do the water change so you can test it once the water change is done.
Okay, I can give you some info.
The tank is 70l, I'm upgrading to a 200l soon.

I have got 3 live plants, one is still adjusting to the water changes from its last tank.

They have lived in that tank for almost 3 years (not the guppies)

I cleaned the tank out about 2 weeks ago or less, which is what I usually do.

I usually do a 60% water change, unless I've been on holiday, I would do a 75% water change.

I also have 3 pieces of driftwood.

I own these fish:
3 rosy barbs (getting more in 200l)
5 guppies
1 large platy
6 neon tetras
3 red phantom tetras
2 shrimp
6 snails
2 kuhli loaches
1 peacock eel
1 panda garra
I am aware theres too many in a 70l, they all seem pretty happy for now.
And I know this tank is way too small for a peacock eel, I got him from a man along with the loaches and the 200l. To be honest he seems very happy in this tank as theres lots of places to hide.

I just realised you asked for a test strip, I didnt see that and I've already flushed the water down, I did one about two days ago and it was all fine.
The guppies are back to normal now, thanks for the advice

Okay, I can give you some info.
The tank is 70l, I'm upgrading to a 200l soon.

I have got 3 live plants, one is still adjusting to the water changes from its last tank.

They have lived in that tank for almost 3 years (not the guppies)

I cleaned the tank out about 2 weeks ago or less, which is what I usually do.

I usually do a 60% water change, unless I've been on holiday, I would do a 75% water change.

I also have 3 pieces of driftwood.

I own these fish:
3 rosy barbs (getting more in 200l)
5 guppies
1 large platy
6 neon tetras
3 red phantom tetras
2 shrimp
6 snails
2 kuhli loaches
1 peacock eel
1 panda garra
I am aware theres too many in a 70l, they all seem pretty happy for now.

Along with the size of the peacock eel, and that it's a LOT of fish in a 70L tank, you're aware that barbs, tetra, kuhli loaches and panda garra all need larger group sizes?

Along with the size of the peacock eel, and that it's a LOT of fish in a 70L tank, you're aware that barbs, tetra, kuhli loaches and panda garra all need larger group sizes?
Basically, I saw a 200l tank on ebay for only £65. It came with a lot of extras, so it was a very very very good deal.
The man selling it didnt tell me what fish were living in it. In the picture it looked like there were some tetras, but apparently it was an old photo. I didnt see the peacock eel in the picture, I thought it was a log. The man told me over messages he had '1 big fish and 1 small fish' I thought he meant like a small and large tetra. But no, he meant a peacock eel and a kuhli loach.
When he was taking the tank apart to deliver, he found another kuhli loach.

So I wasnt expecting any of these. I do know barbs need to live in bigger groups, same with tetras and kuhli loaches.
I've had my panda garra for almost 3 years alone, and hes very happy like this. He gets on with the other fish and I'm not sure he needs more. I also dont want him to run out of algae if theres so many algae eating animals in a newly set up tank.
I know it's a lot of fish in a 70l, I used to just have a single male rosy barb (his friends died) but he started glass surfing so of course I got him two girls. I'm going to get 3 or 4 more for the 200l. They are quite a pain though, they destroy any live plants in sight. Also quite aggressive, so I might rehome them depending if they're happier in a bigger tank.

I've now noticed theres two guppies at the bottom now, two at the top and one in the middle. All spread out, far away from eachother. I have no idea what's wrong with them. They have lived in this tank with that many fish for a while so they should be fine?

I recall this/these issue(s) from other threads, but a couple of things need reinforcing.

I already suggested elsewhere that the panda garra be left alone, given the time and everything else here. Getting more of them means a much larger tank and few if any of the other mentioned fish. Leave well enough alone. If the garra becomes problematic, re-home it (or lose the other fish).

Shoaling fish as you know need groups, and for almost all species including those here that means 10 or more of each species. A 200l (52 gallon) tank is quickly going to become too full, so you should consider which species you can re-home, even if it means giving them to a store.

The need for numbers is programmed into the genetic blueprint for the species. The fish "expect" this, and it simply must be provided. And on this, there is absolutely no way any one of us can ever say "the fish are happy" or whatever, because frankly we cannot talk to them to find out. All we can be certain of is that researching the individual species needs and providing as close an environment to the habitat as reasonably possible is the only way to assume the fish are OK. You cannot go by fish actions/behaviours except when things become so bad the fish react negatively, and by then it is too late. Fish like all animals have one supreme instinct...to reproduce to ensure survival of their species, and they will do everything they can to "make do" or manage with any situation in order to achieve this goal. Fish that are swimming, eating and spawning may not for these reasons be in good health or stress-free.

When one acquires a "used" tank of fish it is a difficult situation if the previous owner did not understand things, as is clearly evident here. We have to fix the issues as best we can, and sometimes getting rid of "x" species needs to be done, depending. The poor fish are the losers nomatter what, but this is not your fault even though the responsibility to fix it is now yours.

I recall this/these issue(s) from other threads, but a couple of things need reinforcing.

I already suggested elsewhere that the panda garra be left alone, given the time and everything else here. Getting more of them means a much larger tank and few if any of the other mentioned fish. Leave well enough alone. If the garra becomes problematic, re-home it (or lose the other fish).

Shoaling fish as you know need groups, and for almost all species including those here that means 10 or more of each species. A 200l (52 gallon) tank is quickly going to become too full, so you should consider which species you can re-home, even if it means giving them to a store.

The need for numbers is programmed into the genetic blueprint for the species. The fish "expect" this, and it simply must be provided. And on this, there is absolutely no way any one of us can ever say "the fish are happy" or whatever, because frankly we cannot talk to them to find out. All we can be certain of is that researching the individual species needs and providing as close an environment to the habitat as reasonably possible is the only way to assume the fish are OK. You cannot go by fish actions/behaviours except when things become so bad the fish react negatively, and by then it is too late. Fish like all animals have one supreme instinct...to reproduce to ensure survival of their species, and they will do everything they can to "make do" or manage with any situation in order to achieve this goal. Fish that are swimming, eating and spawning may not for these reasons be in good health or stress-free.

When one acquires a "used" tank of fish it is a difficult situation if the previous owner did not understand things, as is clearly evident here. We have to fix the issues as best we can, and sometimes getting rid of "x" species needs to be done, depending. The poor fish are the losers nomatter what, but this is not your fault even though the responsibility to fix it is now yours.
I dont particularly know what I have to fix though.
By the way, 200l in the uk is smaller than basically everywhere else. My tank is 46 gallons I'm pretty sure. The guppies are still acting weird, they are eating and swimming fine.

I dont particularly know what I have to fix though.
By the way, 200l in the uk is smaller than basically everywhere else. My tank is 46 gallons I'm pretty sure. The guppies are still acting weird, they are eating and swimming fine.

I'm not going to guess on the guppy issue, but I will ask what are the GH and pH of the water. I'm thinking on the hard side, given your closeness to London, but this may not be the case. Guppies are pretty adaptable, to some extent anyway, so this is just a thought to confirm or not.

To the issues that you have to fix...the shoaling fish which are the barbs, tetras and loaches, all need groups in the 10+ range. This will quickly fill if not overfill the 200 liter tank. One option is to re-home any of these species you do not particularly want. This action is in the best interests of the fish. But, having said that...I don't know how long this situation has been the case before you got this tank with its fish. Sometimes it is best to leave things as they are, even though without question the fish are not in the best of circumstances. I think if this were me, I would see what species the local store would take (free), and then work to build a good community. The garra is an unknown here though, as has been mentioned elsewhere. And the eel too for that matter. In better conditions they may decide to make meals of the smaller fish, including the loaches.

I'm not going to guess on the guppy issue, but I will ask what are the GH and pH of the water. I'm thinking on the hard side, given your closeness to London, but this may not be the case. Guppies are pretty adaptable, to some extent anyway, so this is just a thought to confirm or not.

To the issues that you have to fix...the shoaling fish which are the barbs, tetras and loaches, all need groups in the 10+ range. This will quickly fill if not overfill the 200 liter tank. One option is to re-home any of these species you do not particularly want. This action is in the best interests of the fish. But, having said that...I don't know how long this situation has been the case before you got this tank with its fish. Sometimes it is best to leave things as they are, even though without question the fish are not in the best of circumstances. I think if this were me, I would see what species the local store would take (free), and then work to build a good community. The garra is an unknown here though, as has been mentioned elsewhere. And the eel too for that matter. In better conditions they may decide to make meals of the smaller fish, including the loaches.
If anything I dont want the barbs. They nip the guppies fins which I hate. They also destroy plants, I think the guppies would feel happier and safer if the barbs werent there. Saying that, do you think I could possibly get rid of the male? The females are friendly with other fish and dont destroy plants. I would definitely get 3 - 4 more if I rehomed the male, that was my plan anyway.
The only problem is, hes about three years old. I'm not sure if a pet shop near me would take him at that age. I can see if anyone wants him on Facebook.

My plan was, without the male barb, to get 6 - 8 more neon tetras. Then I would have 12 - 14.
Possibly another female platy, she seems quite happy and peaceful alone though.
Possibly a few more red phantoms, I might rehome them too though.
Maybe 4 - 5 more female guppies? I would then have 9 - 10.
I think I'll keep the garra alone, I dont want it to run out of algae.
I could also get some more kuhli loaches..

Is that a good plan?
I think all of the fish would be happier without the barb. Maybe all three? I'm not sure. Will the females be calmer without a male?

My water is very hard, I'm pretty sure the gh and ph is at its highest point. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not but it's been like that for 3 years.

Changed my mind. Even the females are glass surfing. Why are rosy barbs so hard to care for?

Last edited:

Sorry, this is a confusing thing about the hobby! In the fishkeeping hobby, when we refer to gallons, it's US gallons, which are of course, different from our UK gallons! So anytime you see anyone in the hobby use gallons as a measurement, they mean US gallons. So 200L is a 52g tank, as far as anyone here is concerned. ;)

Confused the heck out of me too, when I first started! ;)

But a quick warning of the exception to this rule - if you ever use any meds by King British, they give dosages in litres and in gallons, but they're using UK gallons, unlike any other med on the market. So stick with using litres as the measurement when medicating.

My thoughts on the rosey barbs would be that it's better to rehome all of them, since they'll terrorise the rest of the tank mates in the tank when not in the right numbers, and they expect a ratio of males/females as well, and there's no guarantee that females only won't nip at other fish and destroy the planting, plus having enough of those means not having enough of the other species.

Makes sense to keep the garra alone then in this case until he/she passes. Any other fish that you've rescued but don't want to keep that species long term, also makes sense to just allow the remaining survivors to either rehome to someone who has a group they can join, or allow them to live out their lives with you, without adding more for the sake of school numbers, if you're not intending/wanting to keep that species long term.

I have odd numbers of elderly tetra I inherited that I'm not bumping their numbers because I don't want to keep that species long term myself, but they're elderly and lived their entire lives in this tank, wouldn't rehome well by joining a school of young fish, so will remain here until they pass, without condemning more fish of their species to live in the wrong water, and not forcing me to keep species I didn't really want forever! lol.

I've asked my mum to put them on facebook. They're too overwhelming for me to handle.
What do you think about the red phantoms? They are very peaceful but rather shy and boring. If I kept them I would need a few more I think, which is doable.
I'll definitely get 6 - 8 more neons. Possibly more guppies, they're still acting strange though.
I added some API stress coat into the tank to possibly help.. not sure if I notice anything different yet. Could be a huge mistake.
Just did a test strip.
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.5 - 8.0 (colour didnt come out well)
Kh 120
Gh 180
Pretty sure it's always been like this, or similar. My water is very hard.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back