Guppies - Female To Male Ratio?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

iceblueangel

Reaction score
Can I have more than one male guppy in my tank if I have females as well? Will the males fight if I have more than one? Also how many females to a male is recommended?

I've moved this topic from the species index, which is for informational posts rather than questions.

you should have 2 males to one female i think. at least that's the way it was with my swordtails.

Actually I think it's 2 females to one male... Atleast that's what I've heard az9 hold on lemme google it

Ok I was wrong it's THREE or more females to a male, this is of course for stress on the females hope this helped!

theDutchess said:
Actually I think it's 2 females to one male... Atleast that's what I've heard az9 hold on lemme google it

Ok I was wrong it's THREE or more females to a male, this is of course for stress on the females hope this helped!
Thank you. Is it OK to keep more than one male in the tank if I make sure I up the number of females also? I am getting a 55 gallon tank and intend to keep mainly guppies and neon tetras.

With all livebearers you want to have more females than males.

hmmm. that's weird. i could have sworn it was 2 males to a female.

Ya its deffinantly ok to increse males as long as its 3 females to one male! And I would say that with a big group of femals & males you probably could do like 2 or 3 females to 1 make in sted of 3+

iceblueangel said:
Can I have more than one male guppy in my tank if I have females as well? Will the males fight if I have more than one? Also how many females to a male is recommended?
[SIZE=medium]It’s  recommend a  ratio of  2 females to 1 male  the  larger the group the more males you can keep a  ten gallon tank  with 15 guppy’s  and a  ratio   of  5 males and 10 females works fine,   7 males  and 8 females works  fine, a reverse ratio of 10 males and 5 females can  also work.  [/SIZE]

[/quote]
It’s  recommend a  ratio of  2 females to 1 male  the  larger the group the more males you can keep a  ten gallon tank  with 15 guppy’s  and a  ratio   of  5 males and 10 females works fine,   7 males  and 8 females works  fine, a reverse ratio of 10 males and 5 females can  also work.  [/quote]

I have never seen this how does the reverse ratio work?

It’s  recommend a  ratio of  2 females to 1 male  the  larger the group the more males you can keep a  ten gallon tank  with 15 guppy’s  and a  ratio   of  5 males and 10 females works fine,   7 males  and 8 females works  fine, a reverse ratio of 10 males and 5 females can  also work.  [/quote]

[/QUOTE]If you are not a experienced fish keeper it is wise to have more females then males,
 If you keep them in large group A ratio of  2 females to 1 male is all you will need, adding more females is down to personal choice and as I have mentioned guppies can be kept in ratios of  pairs and when keeping more males to females they will often spend more time competing among them salves and  taking very little notice of the females,

It’s  recommend a  ratio of  2 females to 1 male  the  larger the group the more males you can keep a  ten gallon tank  with 15 guppy’s  and a  ratio   of  5 males and 10 females works fine,   7 males  and 8 females works  fine, a reverse ratio of 10 males and 5 females can  also work. 
[/quote]
If you are not a experienced fish keeper it is wise to have more females then males,
 If you keep them in large group A ratio of  2 females to 1 male is all you will need, adding more females is down to personal choice and as I have mentioned guppies can be kept in ratios of  pairs and when keeping more males to females they will often spend more time competing among them salves and  taking very little notice of the females,[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying!

Thank you all for your advice, makes me feel more confident knowing you are all out there 
thumbs-up.gif

Hey no prob that's what we are here for I felt the same way when I first joined! Good Luck w/
your guppies

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back