Guppies Everywhere!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Salt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been wanting a fish tank since I was a child. My grandma always had guppies and a really gorgeous aquarium. So I got what I call "my pandemic fish" ?, two female and two male guppies for a 10-gallon tank.
Oh, and a platinum betta, Blanco, in a 3-gallon tank because my Mom loves bettas. ?
I have lost one male, and added a male from a different store for genetic variety. I couldn't even tell you how many guppies I have right now.
I now have three 10 gallon tanks and the 3-gallon tank.?
Anyone want a fish? Or a snail? They are trying to outdo the fish! ?? (Mystery and Ramshorn)
20210530_093024.jpg

Just to clarify the laugh is regarding the snails trying to outdo the number of guppies ?. The Betta is beautiful ?

cool, you should move the betta to a 5+gallon, he will grow out of a 3g.
i never knew bettas could be with guppies!

Just to clarify the laugh is regarding the snails trying to outdo the number of guppies ?. The Betta is beautiful ?
Thank you :) He's the most active betta I have ever seen and I had never seen a platinum before! The important part is my mom loves him :)
And yeah the snails are an issue...
I squish the babies and my fish eat them, I hope that's okay for the fish ???

cool, you should move the betta to a 5+gallon, he will grow out of a 3g.
i never knew bettas could be with guppies!
So far so good! I just moved him to the 10-gallon tank yesterday, and then I just put a few small frys in, just in case it didn't go well. He seems to actually enjoy it them being in the tank. I had no idea that a betta would outgrow a 3 gallon tank! Thanks for sharing the tip :)

Pandemic fis lol... I got my parrotlets mid- pandemic, there both mine now, but my brother used to own one, he named her Dr Fourche, bc it was his pandemic bird. She's mine now and her name is avacado (or avi)

Last edited:
Be careful about letting the guppies overstock the tank, as they will continue to reproduce every 28 days, and can have from 5 to 75+ fry each time. Many LFS will take young guppies in. Welcome to the forum!

Be careful about letting the guppies overstock the tank, as they will continue to reproduce every 28 days, and can have from 5 to 75+ fry each time. Many LFS will take young guppies in. Welcome to the forum!
That's why I bought two more 10-gallon tanks actually, because of the rate at which they are multiplying :) What is an LFS? And thank you for the welcome!

What is an LFS?
Local Fish Store. The babies will start to reproduce with one another within about 3 months. You will definitely be over run unless you actively cull your guppy population. I hope you have fun with them, though, as they are really cool fish.

That's why I bought two more 10-gallon tanks actually, because of the rate at which they are multiplying :) What is an LFS? And thank you for the welcome!
You should get a lot of those 37g bins and make mini ponds, and sell them to lfs

Local Fish Store. The babies will start to reproduce with one another within about 3 months. You will definitely be over run unless you actively cull your guppy population. I hope you have fun with them, though, as they are really cool fish.

You should get a lot of those 37g bins and make mini ponds, and sell them to lfs
Thank you! I will check with local fish stores and see if any are interested. We have a PetSmart here that has amazing guppies. We also have Petco and a few local stores.
By 37-gallon bins do you mean just regular storage totes? That would be something else to turn something like that into a pond. It had never even occurred to me. :)
I have also considered seeing if any local elementary schools might be interested in fish for their classrooms. :)

Thank you! I will check with local fish stores and see if any are interested. We have a PetSmart here that has amazing guppies. We also have Petco and a few local stores.
By 37-gallon bins do you mean just regular storage totes? That would be something else to turn something like that into a pond. It had never even occurred to me. :)
I have also considered seeing if any local elementary schools might be interested in fish for their classrooms. :)
yeah, petsmart maybe will sell them, but i do not know
yes storage totes.
you can use bigger plants for them too!!!
make sure they are responsible and will not cram them into tiny tanks or anything. tbh i do not reccomend that unless you know they are very responsible for water changes, water testing, feeding, etc etc.
some pond tips i guess are
get a light
you can get big floaters like water hyacinth
or even monstera or pothos

yeah, petsmart maybe will sell them, but i do not know
yes storage totes.
you can use bigger plants for them too!!!
make sure they are responsible and will not cram them into tiny tanks or anything. tbh i do not reccomend that unless you know they are very responsible for water changes, water testing, feeding, etc etc.
some pond tips i guess are
get a light
you can get big floaters like water hyacinth
or even monstera or pothos
That sounds like a lot of fun! Another thing to be excited about with fish :)
The PetSmart's here have amazing tanks, they're constantly monitored, especially my favorite one that's a bit north of me. I wouldn't sell a snail to my Petco here, but the PetSmart's here are pretty amazing: rows and rows of spotless tanks, great aeration, great lighting. I will check on how often they do water testing and stuff for sure. I will call around different places and check to see what their policies are after the holiday is over.
I'm definitely going to have to do something, I just noticed more tiny little eyes underneath my hornwort again this morning 😂

That sounds like a lot of fun! Another thing to be excited about with fish :)
The PetSmart's here have amazing tanks, they're constantly monitored, especially my favorite one that's a bit north of me. I wouldn't sell a snail to my Petco here, but the PetSmart's here are pretty amazing: rows and rows of spotless tanks, great aeration, great lighting. I will check on how often they do water testing and stuff for sure. I will call around different places and check to see what their policies are after the holiday is over.
I'm definitely going to have to do something, I just noticed more tiny little eyes underneath my hornwort again this morning 😂
same!!! the petco can even kill a mystery snail, theres like at least 2+ dead fish in a tank there
petsmart though its kind of dirty, the fish are all alive and dead fish are never kept in for long
most local stores have like 1/3 price for fish with store credit
how cold is it in winter where you are?
outdoor seems cool

same!!! the petco can even kill a mystery snail, theres like at least 2+ dead fish in a tank there
petsmart though its kind of dirty, the fish are all alive and dead fish are never kept in for long
most local stores have like 1/3 price for fish with store credit
how cold is it in winter where you are?
outdoor seems cool
It gets down to about 33, at the very lowest here in winter, I live in the Phoenix metro area. I don't think I could do outside fish. I think it would bake them with 115-120 in the summer.

It would be Guppy stew! 😂

I was actually just pondering where I could set up storage totes after I read your last message. I think I might be able to have them in a little add-on we call the sunroom. This is so much fun! Thank you for the info, especially about the store credit and the storage totes!
I'm not sure if there's a certain phrase for it, but these two fish below are my first two babies that got color from both my momfish and my dadfish and were born in my tank. ProudGuppyParent moment 🐠😂🐠
AirBrush_20210531111254.jpg

Attachments

• AirBrush_20210531111254.jpg
    AirBrush_20210531111254.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 36

Most reactions

trending

Back