Guppies - Deserve A Lot More Credit

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
Some 10/15 years ago, I got myself a few guppies.... I think it was 3 males & 8 females..... They all died after 24hours, but just before she also died, one female delivered a batch of 12 babies which I immediately transferred to another tank as I suspected guppy disease......

Now subsequently, I have many thousand descendants from that sole female (despite having one major disaster where I also lost many, many thousands of them..... The photos below shows that even many generations of inbreeding shows no ill effects on the strain.............

SDC11313.jpg


SDC11314.jpg


SDC11318.jpg


SDC11325.jpg


SDC11330.jpg


They look a lot better in the tank than they do on these photos.... I'm not good at it.
 
hi ludwig
whats guppy disease......going to start keeping guppys , what should i look for
thanks :good:
ps nice guppys you have there
 
hi ludwig
whats guppy disease......going to start keeping guppys , what should i look for
thanks :good:
ps nice guppys you have there

From what I understand,... Guppy disease occurs at fish farms dealing exclusively in guppies, but I cannot tell you if there are any visible symptoms or if there is any treatment for it.... I only know that the fish dies in a very short period of time when removed from their native waters.....

I see Colin_T is online and I'm positive that he will know more about it..... Hopefully, he will stroll upon your question and furnish the explanation.
 
That is one of the best looking bunch of Guppies that I have ever seen...not bad for inbreeders. lol
 
That is one of the best looking bunch of Guppies that I have ever seen...not bad for inbreeders. lol


& I can honestly say the hardiest guppies you've ever seen...... They are sought after and anyone keeping them immediately comments on this aspect.
 
Very nice guppies. I am thinking of doing the same thing with my tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top