Gsp Pros Please Step In

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sean W.

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Alllrighttt...

So. My very first attempt to keep fish was a Green Spotted puffer fish... i hopelessly failed, i got a 2 gallon tank, and like 2 fake plants and put it in, it died in less than a week.

So i did research and i decided ( at the time ) that a GSP was just more than i was ready to bargin for. so i got Dwarf puffers, i kept them successfully for a few years, now my Dwarf puffer tank has turned into a community tank, ( after the dwarf puffers had a long successful life ).

so, i went to the local fish store again today, and he got a shipment of GSps in, and i fell in love. i have a 30 gallon cube in my hallway just sitting there.

so. i got the tank and the filter and the lights. i know a lot about them but i wanna hear what people who have successfully kept them have to say. pretend like i know nothing and tell me everything :)

i appreceiate any input and comments... thanks :)

Hello
I only kept mine a month as they were pretty much my first fish, I was fully aware of the housing requirements etc but never having done fishkeeping before found them abit much. What can I say they are gorgeous, personable, really cute puffs that get to a substantial size around 6". Your LFS usually gets them in as freshwater but they are brackish fish in reality. When they are young they are lower ended brackish using real marine salt (not tonic/aquatic!) and as they grow onwards reaching up to adult they need the salinity to increase with them up to high end brackish. Some people take them through to true saltwater marine conditions as they can then add live rock and skimmer and there is a little less work to be done.

They as any puff are tempermental as I found keeping 2 in my 160 litre. Each will have different personalities. Two together I personally found were far too boisterous, I have read it is suggested a single puff will become very attached and personable with their owner.

They are tropical fish so a heater is essential. Over filtration is recommended as they eat very messily. They are piglets when it comes to food and will beg!

As to the food variety is the best way forward, they may need to be trained onto certain foods to ensure they are getting a all good rond diet, include things like prawns, brineshrimp, bloodworm, cockles, mussels, etc. Certain foods such as prawn do not use too regularly as it contains thiamise. Also essential to their diet are crunchy foods such as cockles, mussels, snails to help wear their beaks down and keep them trim and prevent from being overgrown.

The tank itself needs to plenty of decoration even with a lone puff as they are intelligent creatures and can easily get bored. Sometimes this is noticed by pacing a side or corner of the tank when they have had plenty of time to settle in.

They do puff (never witnessed it myself except on a dwarf puff) but do not agitate them to do so just so you can see! Also never EVER take them out of the water, if they puff in air it can become stuck and you may have to dislodge it if they cant. It may also not come out and the puff can die from it or the stress of it.

They live a long time 6years + so look at them as a long term pet such as a underwater puppy.

Ive only just woken up so hope that helps in terms of basic research. Can add all the temps and salinity but if you have been researching sure you have seen all of that already :good: They are gorgeous puffs and personally will be trying a lone one again down the road when I am ready for a salty adventure.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back