Growing algae for fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Long1234

Reaction score
I read somewhere that a lady kept a bowl outside with stones in to grow algee on then would put a stone in the tank for the fish to feed on. Is this a good idea??
I always worry about my otocinclus not getting enough food as the other fish eat it so fast.
Would really appreciate your views on this

Yes you can do this. If you have the bowl outside have a glass cover on it so you dont get any insects in it. I use a jar in my windowsill with small stones for my otocinclus shoal

You can use a bucket, plastic storage container or anything that holds water. Try and avoid using glass outside because it can crack due to sudden temperature changes.

Fill the container with tap water and add 1 level tablespoon of lawn or garden fertiliser for every 20 litres of water. Stir it up and add some smooth rocks, ornaments and bits of driftwood.

Leave the items in the water until they get covered in algae, then put one or two bits in the tank for the fish. After a week or so (when most of the algae is gone from the rocks), swap them over with a couple more items in the bucket.

-----------------
If small insects get into the container it is fine and most fish will eat them if they get into the tank.

You can use a bucket, plastic storage container or anything that holds water. Try and avoid using glass outside because it can crack due to sudden temperature changes.

Fill the container with tap water and add 1 level tablespoon of lawn or garden fertiliser for every 20 litres of water. Stir it up and add some smooth rocks, ornaments and bits of driftwood.

Leave the items in the water until they get covered in algae, then put one or two bits in the tank for the fish. After a week or so (when most of the algae is gone from the rocks), swap them over with a couple more items in the bucket.

-----------------
If small insects get into the container it is fine and most fish will eat them if they get into the tank.
Wouldn't the garden fertiliser be toxic and deadly?

Most garden fertilisers contain ammonia/ nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, along with trace elements. Algae love these foods and will use them to grow.

When you remove the rocks form the container of water, most of the water will drain off the rock and there won't be much if any nutrients left on it. If you are concerned you can put the rock in a container of clean water for a minute, wriggle it about under water, then lift the rock out of the water, let it drain for a moment and add it to the tank. But most of the nutrients will remain in the container of water and get used by the growing algae.

Most garden fertilisers contain ammonia/ nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, along with trace elements. Algae love these foods and will use them to grow.

When you remove the rocks form the container of water, most of the water will drain off the rock and there won't be much if any nutrients left on it. If you are concerned you can put the rock in a container of clean water for a minute, wriggle it about under water, then lift the rock out of the water, let it drain for a moment and add it to the tank. But most of the nutrients will remain in the container of water and get used by the growing algae.
That's cool. I should do this one day.

Iv had spare bits of bog wood in a tub for a week and they are green already, I'll rotate these for the invert tank who will make short work of the greenery.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back