Green Water And Uv Filters?

UV filters are a great addition to your aquarium. Besides green water/ algae, they also combat bacteria and disease.
I would not suggest getting one rated for a smaller tank. I won't work properly.
I run UV sterilizers on a few of my tanks, and they're awesome.

Although they reduce the natural resistance that the fish have, and so they then have weak immune systems and become dependent on the UV to combat infections.

BAHAHAHAH. nice try, but i think you have a poor understanding of the system

first of all, if you purchased the filter for use on the tank, why would you ever turn it off?
thats like saying your fish become "dependent" on your canister or HOB filter. yeah if you turn your filter off, chances are your fish will die. but only a foolt would turn off a filter. i dont think anyone here would suggest turning off your canister on your tank. the UV is the exact same thing.

yes, the sterilizer wil remove all the harmful floating bacteria and disease and algae in the water forcing your fish to get used to pristine water conditions... poor poor fish.
and as the water will be in this condition, your fish wil naturally become acclimated to these conditions. so if you were to remove the filter and introduce disease, the would be more prone to illness. but again, only a fool would do such a thing.

i have run UV filters for years with no such consequence. and also with disease free and happy fish.


so what was the bad part again? :blink:
 
The bad part is IF you turned it off. The OP seemed to be implying they didn't want it on all year.

Also you don't have to 'introduce' disease. Pathogens are all around, the problem comes that the fish will develop partial immunity to many pathogens. If you run the UV for long enough that they are no longer building their immune system then you risk the possibility that certain pathogens will have altered enough that the fish will no longer have ANY immunity.

Then when you switch the UV off, and do a water change, in come the pathogens and then fish die as their body cannot respond fast enough.

My opinion would always be to actually try to solve the problem, not just hide it.

Edit: Also...just a note, it's nothing like saying the fish become dependant on the filter. Fish can never build up an immunity to poisons. If left in a high ammonia, high nitrite environment then they will quickly feel the effects and die. The building of an immune system is a lifelong ongoing process, if you interupt it (and don't stop pathogens from mutating...which obviously you can't do) THAT is when the fish will come to be dependant on the UV.
 
I reckon the problem is partly with the stocking, filtration and water change routine.

Stocking...are you aware of how huge sailfins grow? It may not be a problem now, but it really will easily outgrow a 240l tank, on top of that it will produce MASSES of waste in proportion to it's size.

If your tank has been cycled for 2+ years and you're still showing ammonia then your filter isn't coping. You need to either upgrade it or simply add a second one. This will remove the issue of ammonia and frankly could sort your problem out straight away.

Water change routine... your nitrates shouldn't be getting to 80ppm, depending on what comes out of your tap (the max normally being 20ppm), your tank shouldn't be reaching more than 40ppm imbetween changes. If it is reaching 40ppm (or in this case much more!) then you really need to address either your stocking, you water change routine (how much and how often). Also nitrate can also act as a nutrient to algae...high nitrates mean extra food.

What sort of water changes and how often are you doing them at the moment? And are you making sure any leftover food is removed?

I agree that as it is seemingly a yearly thing, then it is likely to be do with sunlight triggering the green water. BUT, only due to the factors listed above. Sunlight hits my tank at this time of year aswell...however I don't have green water, and I never have (not due to sunlight alone anyways). When I switched over to my new tank I had a small ammonia spike as my tank went through a mini cycle. The water went green overnight, but cleared as soon as the spike passed.

There are lots of reasons to avoid using a UV light (once the excess nutrient problem is sorted). Some of which are that it leads to fish have lowered immune systems, and that it's quite expensive (both to buy and run), when you can easily address the problem in otherways.
For example, at this time of year daylight doesn't last all that long (presuming you're uk based?), you could simply drape a blanket over the tank during the daytime and remove it at night?
Or set up a partition/blind in the room? Or pull one of the curtains along so it shades the tank.

Though to be honest, unless the tank is in FULL daylight near enough all day, .

Thanx 4 replyin in length and giving advice.
The ammonia level was readin 0 for over 6 months so i stoped testing untill my green water came bk. Im sure there was probly a slight spike that caused it when i cleaned my filter and changed some of the media.

Water changes are carried out every 1-2weeks around 30%. I top up with safe water every week and remove any food left or dead plants asap.

As for mr plec, ive had him over 3 years and he was only an inch when i got him. I plan on rehoming him when hes bigger, he can act as a bargainin tool to persuade the missus for a 6' tank lol.
 
I dont think the pleco will grow any. If kept in crampt condition fish tend to stop growing at some point causing stress on the body thus they never reach there full size. Has he grown any in the past 6 months?

Secondly what media did you change? If you changed carbon thats one thing but to change any of the other media unless its falling apart causes a loss in bacteria and thus an ammonia spike. Chances are this will just go away after awhile as said before as long as you keep up on the tank.
 
I dont think the pleco will grow any. If kept in crampt condition fish tend to stop growing at some point causing stress on the body thus they never reach there full size. Has he grown any in the past 6 months?

Secondly what media did you change? If you changed carbon thats one thing but to change any of the other media unless its falling apart causes a loss in bacteria and thus an ammonia spike. Chances are this will just go away after awhile as said before as long as you keep up on the tank.


Yes i changed the carbon but i think i cleaned the sponges a bit 2 thoroughly.
As for mr plec, he hasnt seemed 2 have grown much recently. I dnt want 2 stunt his growth tho, how big should he get in my 4' 240 litre?
 
Just to point out...I'm not saying don't get a UV light. Just that you need to weigh up all the pros and cons and considering all of the other things that could be causing your spike.

Eitherways I wouldn't dismiss getting a larger filter if it's possible, I have a Eheim Pro II 2026 (recommended for tanks 350l) on my 125l tank.
It's not a neccesity, but something recommended for double your tank certainly wouldn't hurt if you happen to have some spare cash.

Considering your water test results I would suggest you up your water changes to being strictly weekly, and go from 30% to 40%. Perhaps alternating weekly. One week 30, next week 40.
Then see if this keeps your nitrates slightly more in check.

N I would expect the plec to grow to about 12" in a 4fter. That's just an estimate. There's various debates on which fish get stunted and which dont etc. But I personally believe that all fish release a hormone when they're growing, and when this growth hormone gets to a certain concentration it inhibits growth (a survival trait that is shown when a population of fish reaches a certain density).
This trait is shown in MANY different species, but I can't say I've personally testing growth rates of a plec in different amounts of water...so I'm going on general trends in fish of many species instead.

What size has he seeminly 'maxed' out at?
 
Just to point out...I'm not saying don't get a UV light. Just that you need to weigh up all the pros and cons and considering all of the other things that could be causing your spike.

Eitherways I wouldn't dismiss getting a larger filter if it's possible, I have a Eheim Pro II 2026 (recommended for tanks 350l) on my 125l tank.
It's not a neccesity, but something recommended for double your tank certainly wouldn't hurt if you happen to have some spare cash.

Considering your water test results I would suggest you up your water changes to being strictly weekly, and go from 30% to 40%. Perhaps alternating weekly. One week 30, next week 40.
Then see if this keeps your nitrates slightly more in check.

N I would expect the plec to grow to about 12" in a 4fter. That's just an estimate. There's various debates on which fish get stunted and which dont etc. But I personally believe that all fish release a hormone when they're growing, and when this growth hormone gets to a certain concentration it inhibits growth (a survival trait that is shown when a population of fish reaches a certain density).
This trait is shown in MANY different species, but I can't say I've personally testing growth rates of a plec in different amounts of water...so I'm going on general trends in fish of many species instead.

What size has he seeminly 'maxed' out at?


I do mainly do weekly water changes, only every 5 or 6 weeks i mite miss a week out.

As for mr plec hes between 7" and 8". Like i said i have space 4 a 6fter so he will fit nicely in that i hope.

So u recomend more filtration? Do i need 2 be over filtering like you? Is this common? My filter says up2 300 litre.
 
Personally, i would perform the routine i suggested earlier, it has high success rates. If it doesnt work then you can go down the UV route, but you might aswell try to save some money in the first place!

UV filters are a great addition to your aquarium. Besides green water/ algae, they also combat bacteria and disease.
I would not suggest getting one rated for a smaller tank. I won't work properly.
I run UV sterilizers on a few of my tanks, and they're awesome.

Although they reduce the natural resistance that the fish have, and so they then have weak immune systems and become dependent on the UV to combat infections.


yes, the sterilizer wil remove all the harmful floating bacteria and disease and algae in the water forcing your fish to get used to pristine water conditions... poor poor fish.
and as the water will be in this condition, your fish wil naturally become acclimated to these conditions. so if you were to remove the filter and introduce disease, the would be more prone to illness. but again, only a fool would do such a thing.

i have run UV filters for years with no such consequence. and also with disease free and happy fish.


so what was the bad part again? :blink:

I think you are missing the point, UV sterilizers dont guarantee 100% protection against diseases, so it is still possible for fish to become infected even when running a UV. They only kill what passes through - every bacterium doesnt pass through, only a fool would assume this ;)

So that means if a fish does become infected you will (or the fish will) have a very tough time trying to fight it off.
 
i had a problem with green water in my tank, i tried all of the above solutions to no avail. the only way i could get rid of the problem was by installing a Vectron V300 UV steriliser.
 
Personally, i would perform the routine i suggested earlier, it has high success rates. If it doesnt work then you can go down the UV route, but you might aswell try to save some money in the first place!

I agree. I usually recommend the blackout method and it really should be tried first.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top