Gravel losing color

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Dan44

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Today I noticed my gravel is losing its color. Itā€™s not the look Iā€™m worried about but I just worry if itā€™s going to harm my community tank. If I should replace the gravel I imagine Iā€™d have to be careful not to disrupt my beneficial bacteria?

Thank you in advance for the help

Last edited:
What sort of filter is on the aquarium?
Most beneficial filter bacteria is found in the filter and if you have a power filter, you can change all of the substrate without affecting the filter bacteria.

What colour is the gravel?
If it's colourful and glossy but losing the shine, get it out because it can leach poison into the water.

That's why I won't go for gravel that got painted. As Colin has already stated, it can leach poison into the water. Something you just don't want to happen.

Itā€™s an aqua clear 50 on a 20 g tank. Iā€™ll be getting some new substrate and replacing it asap. I appreciate your replies.

An AquaClear 50 HOB filter has plenty of space for bacteria so you won't affect the filter by changing the substrate.

An AquaClear 50 HOB filter has plenty of space for bacteria so you won't affect the filter by changing the substrate.
Thank you for your reply. I am new to the hobby and was quite worried about my bacteria. Iā€™ll be switching to a natural gravel tomorrow morning.

Whilst beneficial bacteria do live in the substrate and on plants, glass and other hard surfaces in the water, the vast majority lives in the filter because there is more water movement, oxygen and a really nice home called filter media. The filter is also dark (usually brown or black) and this reduces the light getting in. Filter bacteria don't really like light so a dark filter with a sponge is going to house a lot of beneficial bacteria than gravel that is exposed to light.

A lot of bad bacteria, fungus, protozoa and viruses live in biofilm on the glass and in the gunk in the gravel. They also grow rapidly in the water column. A well maintained filter will house plenty of beneficial bacteria, while regular gravel cleaning, water changes and wiping the inside of the tank down will go a long way to reducing the number of harmful pathogens in the aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back