Gourami "illness" - Please Help Identify!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JakeTheFrog

Reaction score
I've been having "issues" with the Gourami's in my tank...  Originally, I had 2 Golds, 1 Pearl, 1 Opal, and 1 Paradise.  There was no bullying or fighting because all the fish were added at the same time and were only 1-2" each when added.

A few months ago, I started battling what I thought was fin/tail rot in the Opal and Paradise.  Tank was treated with Tetracycline and the rot appeared to be suppressed.  A few weeks later, the Paradise developed a large red/bleeding ulcer on her back - right in front of the dorsal fin.  After some online research, it appeared that the issue was fungal in nature - so I treated the tank with Jungle Fungus Guard/Clear (whatever they name it now).  The ulcer turned all white and appeared to be healing.  About a week later, the Paradise died (I realize that it was probably too late to save) and the Pearl started getting "indentations" (for lack of a better description) all up and down her body - the biggest being on the "belly" in the middle of the fish.  Since then, the Pearl and the Opal have died (assumably because I either misdiagnosed or because it was too late to save them)...

As of a day or two ago, I noticed "white spots" on the smaller Gold...  Definitely not Ich, but at this point, I'm at a complete loss when it comes to keeping my Gourami healthy...  12-18 months with zero issues and then 3 out of 5 dead in the span of a few weeks...  HELP!

1. What is this (photos below)?
  2. What do I do about it?
  3. Is there some trick to preventing Gourami Annihilation when something shows up?

40G Breeder.  Cycled for approximately 2 years - all water parameters normal.  Current tank mates:  1 other Gold Gourami, 7 Corydoras, and 1 Clown Pleco.

Gourami 1.jpg
Gourami 2.jpg

You could try treating for all that bleeding around the face. It kind of looks like the scales have come off somehow. Usually I would think that it was the other gouramis fighting each other. Sometimes you wont ever see them fight, because they know your watching so they'll wait until your not looking. They can also become more aggressive with time, as the tank seems to get smaller as they get larger. If you're against that, then perhaps there is some sharp objects in the tank that they're scraping against? Maybe a sharp rock or decoration?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back