Got Snail Eggs People

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alex.wardle

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is sods law really ain't it.
I have had 2 apple snails in my tank for around 10 weeks now and they have been good so far. Occasionally giving each other piggy backs but normally staying on different side of the tank 2 one another.
I separated the 2 apples yesterday into different tanks as the were spending alot more time on each other then before and didn't really want any offspring.
Well I woke up 2day to see one of them has placed a good size cluster above the water line and another small one bhind the filter.2 months in my othe tank and no eggs. 1 day of separation and baaaam there they are.
Don't no what 2 do now. I may try and keep a few.
So what do I do next ????

If you don't want any baby snails, take the eggs and put them in a dish of water, or drop them into your tank. From what ive read, the eggs are laid above water because the water kills the eggs off

If you don't want any baby snails, take the eggs and put them in a dish of water, or drop them into your tank. From what ive read, the eggs are laid above water because the water kills the eggs off
i thought the only reason they layed them above the water line was to stop them being eaten by other fish.
There is a small cluster of about 10-20 eggs behind the filter (no idea how the snail got them there).

You could get them to hatch and try and sell them?
I may well just do that. recon in total there is around 60 (may be more hard to count them as there are in a thick clump)
What do i do with them just leave them were they are and w8???
How long do they normally take to hatch???
do i feed them the same as the parents???

Mine take around 10 days, they will slide down into the water and probably disappear in the gravel/sand as they will be tiny. I don't feed mine on anything special as they tend to survive on what's in the Tank already. When mine get to around 5p size I then sell them on Ebay. I usually save any unusual colour ones for breeding. Have fun watching them grow. :good:

Mine take around 10 days, they will slide down into the water and probably disappear in the gravel/sand as they will be tiny. I don't feed mine on anything special as they tend to survive on what's in the Tank already. When mine get to around 5p size I then sell them on Ebay. I usually save any unusual colour ones for breeding. Have fun watching them grow. :good:
I have sand so should not be able to miss them. I am looking forward to my new little (free) critters

Oh you lucky thing, Alex! Lots of lovely apple snails. Watch you don't get an ammonia spike when they grow and start pooping LOL

Maybe you can send me one to make up for that lazy butt Lord Lucan that I have in my tank :hyper:

Athena

ps - not sure why you can't post pics. How are you doing it?

Of corse you can have one Athena(you get 1st dibs). Cant w8 now to see if they hatch out.
I dont no why but there is no attachment bit on this thread like normall. Here they are on my flicker account
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54425849@N06/5036484185/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54425849@N06/5036483987/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54425849@N06/5037102782/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54425849@N06/5036483889/in/photostream/

Alex, that batch is in just the perfect position for hatching. Sometimes mine lay theys too high up near the light and dry out. I have at least 4 new batches on the go and it seems they have learnt where are the best places for depositing their eggs. Let us know how they get on. I'll try and get some pictures of mine over the weekend.

Good to here. What I did notice is tho that the cluster has gone hard.(is this normall)
Don't no what she was thinking tho laying a small lot bhind the filter. I can't w8 now for them to hopefully(fingers and toes crossed) to hatch out.

yes the outer casing does go hard, try not to keep feeling it though :lol: When they hatch it leaves some of the nest left which feels almost like rice paper.

only had a little feel this morning. was just wondering what it was like. I almost thought it would be soft and squidgy. Apparently they only take 10 days to hatch so by my calculations that puts them at around this time next week. So looking forward to this time next week (not got my hopes up 2 much tho as i no things dont always go to plan)

Just a note but judging by that main clutch there are at least 100 eggs there. Prob somewhere between 100-150, presuming they all hatch of course. I would be tempted to only keep one of the clutches if I were you otherwise you may well find yourself over run and have real issues moving that many onto new homes (I speak from experience).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back