Got a question about my tank (coral life BioCube 32)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

RainGamma

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So Iā€™m just wondering what I could add here. I only have carbon right now. Could I add filtration media to put inside. Here is a video, also I was wondering if I did it correctly, I also have a male Betta he is about 2 inches long (I think thatā€™s about how big they get.) I was wondering if the filter would suck him up I donā€™t think it would but asking the experienced. Here is the video https://ufile.io/stt8qg6l (didnā€™t let me put it here)

Also wondering would these be good to put too with the carbon?
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/seachem-purigen-for-freshwater-and-saltwater
Also if someone could give me a better explanation of what sea chem purigen does and whatā€™s the difference of using this than carbon.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...es-chemi-pure-elite-superior-filtration-media Also would I put this under the carbon filter (the middle slot where my carbon is)
Ps this is the carbon filter I use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9PYNH2/?tag=ff0d01-20

Thanks for reading and I hope you are having a good summer

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't view the video. :(

Carbon is useless and not worth using unless you have chemicals or heavy metals in the water.

Sponges are the best filter media/ material. You can buy sponges from different brands of filters and cut them with a pair of scissors so they fit into your filter. I use AquaClear sponges but there are other plenty of other brands.

You can buy round/ cylindrical sponges from some brands of internal power filter. These sponges have a hole through the centre and they fit over the intake strainer of most external power filters.

-------------------------------
SeaChem Purigen removes ammonia from the water so the filter bacteria don't grow.
I do not recommend using this product because it interferes with the natural filtration cycle.

You are better off using sponges in filters and letting them develop colonies of beneficial bacteria to eat the ammonia and convert it into nitrite and then nitrate. You do regular partial water changes to remove nitrates from the tank water.

Carbon is useless and not worth using unless you have chemicals or heavy metals in the water.

Sponges are the best filter media/ material. You can buy sponges from different brands of filters and cut them with a pair of scissors so they fit into your filter. I use AquaClear sponges but there are other plenty of other brands.

You can buy round/ cylindrical sponges from some brands of internal power filter. These sponges have a hole through the centre and they fit over the intake strainer of most external power filters.

SeaChem Purigen removes ammonia from the water so the filter bacteria don't grow.
I do not recommend using this product because it interferes with the natural filtration cycle.

You are better off using sponges in filters and letting them develop colonies of beneficial bacteria to eat the ammonia and convert it into nitrite and then nitrate. You do regular partial water changes to remove nitrates from the tank water.
So can I use carbon and filter also can you view the video now?
https://i.imgur.com/elhYmQU.mp4 so the sponge alone can filter the water right?

So my tank has a rack like this. So I should put the sponge first then (Iā€™m gonna get those plastic balls you can put)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR5JG45/?tag=ff0d01-20

This is what Iā€™m taking about there are 3 places where you can put stuff

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The link for the video sends me to a page where I can login or register with a website to upload videos. I still can't view it.

Put your video on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can go to YouTube to view it.

-------------------------
Don't waste your money on plastic balls, ceramic beads, biospheres or anything else for the filter. Sponges are the best filter material because they trap dirt and gunk and hold beneficial bacteria.

You can use carbon if you like, but it is not necessary unless you have chemicals or heavy metals in the water. The carbon will remove these things and need to be replaced regularly.

Carbon will also remove plant fertilisers and fish medications so just use sponges.

The link for the video sends me to a page where I can login or register with a website to upload videos. I still can't view it.

Put your video on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can go to YouTube to view it.

Don't waste your money on plastic balls, ceramic beads, biospheres or anything else for the filter. Sponges are the best filter material because they trap dirt and gunk and hold beneficial bacteria.

You can use carbon if you like, but it is not necessary unless you have chemicals or heavy metals in the water. The carbon will remove these things and need to be replaced regularly.

Carbon will also remove plant fertilisers and fish medications so just use sponges.
I will try sending it a different way but how would I clean the sponge?

I can send a video of it later but this shows it. On this video go to 3:51 and it shows you how the filter works
it has a media rack and it can fit 3 stuff to put inside Iā€™m just wondering what I can put else with the sponge (ps fresh water I think you know that)

To clean filter sponges you get a bucket of water from the aquarium and squeeze the sponges out in the bucket of tank water. When the sponges are clean you put them back in the filter.

Filters should be cleaned at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better. However, do not clean the filter for the first 6 weeks unless it is completely blocked and no longer flowing normally. If you clean a filter during the first 6 weeks you can wash the beneficial filter bacteria out of the sponges and mess up the cycling process.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back