Got A New Air Pump...

Rediahs

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Messages
727
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
I heard reviewsw on t he forum about the Rena air pumps so I got one to make a sponge filter with. Well, I made the filter, hooked up the Rena, turned it on, and nothing happens... it just makes a loud hum...

Is my unit faulty? I tried smacking it a few times too, nothing happens.

Or am I just dumb and missing something really simple? I made a sponge filter a-la http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=85297 . I put the air tube in, attached the other end to the rena where it says "out" and plugged it in. It's a Rena 50 so I don't think there's any dial or on-switch? Or is there? I'm so confused.
 
is the tube blocked
or is the intake blocked
 
I don't think so...? I guess I can double check.

I don't know if this is something you'd actually be able to feel.. but if I take off the tube, I can't feel the air blowing on my hand or anything, which is what I would expect? Or is it too mild for you to actually feel it?

Anyway I will check that it's not blocked.
 
Well, there's no way it's blocked... I didn't check the tube I was using, but I hooked up a short piece of another tube and simply placed it in the tank.... no spots for it to get blocked, and nothing happens, no bubbles, no air. :crazy: Not even a little. It's as though it's not hooked up to anything at all.

Aggghhhhhh. I don't wanna go back to the store, it's an hour's bus ride!!!! Honestly... am I really this unlucky that I got a faulty one?!?
 
what about the intake normally a circle under the pump with holes in
 
what about the intake normally a circle under the pump with holes in

Yup looks fine.. it has a filter pad thing over it, but it's supposed to, and when I remove the pad it's got holes in it like normal...

Do you think I have to head back and return it to the store... UGH I really don't want to but it is looking more and more like something's wrong with the unit itself because I can't find anything I'm doing wrong!
 
Take it apart and see if something is blocked or leaking inside. UNPLUG it if you take the cover off.
 
Ugh!! So I got a new one, but it's anything but quiet? It's not like it makes a particularly... bad... noise... I guess... but there's no way I can sleep with this in my room!! It quite vibrates a lot, and even on carpet the vibrating noise is quite loud!

Have I gotten two defective ones?!? I mean this one works but I had thought it would be quiet!
 
can it take the depth you have the sponge filter try moving the sponge filter higher in the tank see if that works ive had that trouble sometimes
 
It's only a 5g tank, and the water outlet can't be more than 6 inches underwater.

Don't think that's causing the noise.
 
i know this sounds silly but it might be on the wrong way take it off and turn it round it only works in one direction (to the tank) its to stop water coming back from the tank into your air pump which im sure you know if you have it the wrong way it will close the valve in it thats why the air pump is noisy as it can't push the air so its effectivly blocked

i may be wrong but its worth a try and plus ive also done it once lol
 
Well the thing is that it's pushing air now, so it's not blocked... as I said, I returned the non-functioning one and now have a functioning one. It's just that it's loud.

I am sure I put the valve on the correct way anyway. :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top