Good Quality Or Good Warrenty?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RyanV

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
When I first started this hobby I shopped and bought most of my fish at Petsmart because it was the closest to my house and they had a pretty good selection. After I started getting more into the hobby and learning more about it I started looking for spefic fish that I wanted. This led me to also check Petco, which I fell in love with for the soul reason that their fish warrenty was good for 1 month. Petsmart's was only 2 weeks in compairision. After more time passed, I wanted to start having more rare fish and try breeding. Petsmart and Petco no longer had the fish I was looking for and I was on the serach for a specilty fish only store. I found one that is about 30 mins away from my house, but has great reputation in the area. I have learned a lot from the people there and they got me hooked on planted tanks :) The other day I bought cockatoo apistos, german blue rams, and several other fish. While I was checking out the owner told me I had 48 hours if I needed to return them! After always having shopped at Petsmart and Petco this shocked me and I didn't know what to think. Still ended up getting my fish of course, they were too pretty to put back :) But on top of the 48 hour return they would also only refunded you 1/3 the cost of the fish. They said they guaranteed their fish were much better health than Petsmart and Petco, is this generally true? If so why such a short warrenty then?

What do you guys think about this? Better to have good quality fish or a good warrenty? Where do you get your fish?

On a side note, just about all the fish prices are also higher at the specialty fish only store.

Personally, i dont think fish or any animal should have a "warranty" per say. Granted there is the odd occasion where you buy a sick fish from a shop and it dies because of that, i think thats just the nature of our hobby, but, if you are buying a healthy fish and you are able to provide a suitable, safe and calm habitat for it, there is no reason it should die.

I think a warranty on an animal allows some people to have the opinion that "oh well if it dies i will just take it back and swap it for a new one, until that one dies, then i will do the same for that one"

Just doesnt sit right with me.

In answer to your questions though, i buy my fish from Maidenhead Aquatics which is a pretty large and reputable chain of aquatics stores here in the UK, i have never had a fish die that I have purchased from them. In terms of price vs quality, i would always choose the fish that looks and behaves the most naturally after observing it for quite a time and if that means i have to pay more then so be it.

My local fish stores range from 7 days full refund to 48 hours full refund to 48 hours 1/2 back. I have LFS that are normally priced and over priced. The reason Petsmart and Petco get a bad rap is because most times more then not when you in these stores the Employee will ask why is this fish good or what does this fish do, there are LFS like that to , but more offend they know about fish.

Companies the size of Petco, PetSmart, and to a large extent MAs as well, have such buying power with the suppliers that they will get a full refund from the supplier for any dead ones, so they themselves really don't worry about the length of warranty. With the small independents, they don't have the same power, don't get the refund from the suppliers and so have to limit their exposure.

In answer to your questions though, i buy my fish from Maidenhead Aquatics which is a pretty large and reputable chain of aquatics stores here in the UK, i have never had a fish die that I have purchased from them. In terms of price vs quality, i would always choose the fish that looks and behaves the most naturally after observing it for quite a time and if that means i have to pay more then so be it.

Which do you go to, Wimborne or Christchurch?

Which do you go to, Wimborne or Christchurch?

Both, but my preffered one is the Wimborne branch. I currently have a pair of GBR's waiting there for me to pick up on Sunday
smile.png
Oh and this weekend is their 10th anniversary of that store opening so there are gonig to be cakes and other events like competitions etc if you are looking for something to do
smile.png

I prefer the good quality. If I get a good quality healthy fish I don't need a warranty.
Even so, if I do have one of those good quality fish die the locally owned shops will work with me to replace the fish.
It happens, sometimes fish die, especially with delicate species.

Never been to Wimborne branch, but for a few summers, when money was tight, we used to borrow my parents caravan in Bransgore, therefore nearest supermarket was Sainsburys at CHristchurch - just happened to pop into the MA, as you do.

I have 2 footballing sons, so winter Sundays are rather spoken for!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back