Re-homing success

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Now with livebearers I have reached the point where I soon could be overstocked. My local PetSmart and Petco did not want my new arrivals. Thankfully my local family run fish store agreed to take as many fish as I want to part with. BTW This store, CTE Aquatics is unbelievable in what they stock in regards to fresh and saltwater fauna and flora. Plus they are passionate about what they do. They are only open Thursday through Sunday. The other days they build tanks and go to homes and offices where they maintain saltwater tanks for folks. While I have your attention…..what kind of fish is this?

IMG_0757.jpeg

A long finned, additionally genetically modified black skirt tetra, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. They prefer to live in groups and establish pecking orders. I prefer the wild types of all species.

I thought that color could not be natural. I agree with you.

Yeah it’s a glo-fish white skirt tetra, either injected with dye or modified to produce pigment. Unfortunately stocked by even some of the more hobbyist-oriented LFS I’ve seen. I guess Little Timmys like them.

Glofish have jellyfish gene inserted into the embryo to produce several colours. Originally, the fish were produced to make them fluoresce in the presence of certain pollutants in waterways. Then someone decided they could make money by selling them in the tropical fish hobby trade and now there are several species of Glofish.
Because the jellyfish gene is passed on from generation to generation, they are now mass produced in the normal way.

Dyed fish are whole other ball game. Dye is injected into the fish and many of them die during the process. Some countries have banned the process being carried out, but still allow the import of dyed fish as long as the process is done elsewhere.

Originally, the fish were produced to make them fluoresce in the presence of certain pollutants in waterways.
That’s actually a really interesting origin story! Much more interesting than having them in a tank

Most reactions

Back