Good community Cichlid's?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

YngUrbanCMH

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Columbus, OH - USA (give a yank a break will ya')
I have a community tank with 3 mollies, 3 serpae tetra's, 3 tiger barbs, 3 zebra danios, and 6 white clouds. I'd like to put a larger more exotic fish or 3 in the tank, and was wondering if Angels or another type of cichlid would do well with the rest of the community fish in my tank. I'm mostly worried about my pH, I would prefer not to have to adjust it from my tap and it seems that most prefer a lower pH. If they grow large enough that size becomes a problem it's a great excuse to start another tank :D.

Tank parameters are:
30 gal
pH 7.6
gH 13.5 dGH

Also was wondering about the correct pronunciation of Cichlid... I've heard people pronounce it CHiclid and Sicklid :fun: hehehe... Thanks!

Hi CMH,

The tiger barbs may be a problem as they can be 'nippy' especially to long finned fish (so angles prob not a good idea)and moreso when in small numbers. Tiger barbs tend to keep their squabbling 'in house' when there is a few of them - say 6 or more...

..though I wouldn't be surprissed if someone says they've kept them together quite happily :/

'sicklid' works for me lol ;)

:)

How big is your tank? Lets start there. I think some apistos or kribs would do well with your current lineup. Though, you might watch em with the mollies. Cichlids are aggressive to semi-aggressive. I would advise against angels. If you have the room and want a med. sized cichlid, lose the mollies and get a jack dempsey, blue/port acara, firemouth, jewel, or convict. Only one though :p You may lose a tetra or danio (dither or target fish as us cichlid keepers call em) but they are easily replaced. Cichlids have brilliant colors and great characters, whatever you decide i bet you will be very happy.

30g w/the tankmates you have now hmmmm....can't go wrong w/the dwarf apistos geez :crazy: i recommend them alot :X now i want to get some for myself :nod:

Oh yah didn't see the 30 gal part. So disregard the later part of my post. Go with kribs or apistos, apistos have great colors and personalities.

can't go wrong w/the dwarf apistos geez i recommend them alot now i want to get some for myself

Same here, gonna get some for my 29 gal once i get it set up :)

I think I have a new favorite fish family... I've been looking at some of the species profiles and I didn't realize how many peaceful cichlids there were. The colours and shapes are amazing :D !

I think it's time to re-think my current set-up and slowly turn my 30gal into a small or medium sized cichlid tank! -_- My roomate really had his heart set on angels so I'm probably going to move my nippy fish into a 10 gallon that's in my office.

Unfortunately the tank is still cycleing so it's going to be a few weeks before I can do anything... doh!

Is the 1" of fish per gallon still a good rule with medium sized cichlids?

Well it sorta depends. With cichlids you will need caves and places they can claim as their territory. If you happen to get a pair that breeds, then be prepared for fireworks because they will defend their eggs ferociously.

It is a guideline i think, that 1" ADULT size fish per gallon. But if you have a 30 gal tank i would only suggest maybe 2 kribs and 2 apistos, or something like that combo. 3 Rams would be the most i think. You will want some dither fish to help curb aggression. These would be a school of tetra or danios. Be prepared to lose some of the dither fish from time to time.

I would definatly go with the apostos, I have wanted to get some for a long time but just don't have the room for them. in fact I am going to be setting aside my 10 gal in a few weeks cause I won't need it unless I get some fry out of my labidos. OH almost forgot I would defenatly add at least 3 more tiger barbs.

Are apisto's and Dwarf Cichlids the same thing? It seems that there are a ton of Apistogramma species... not sure if that's what ya' mean or not ... any recomendations?

uh...no actually apistos ARE dwarf cichlids,in other words they fall into the "dwarf cichlid"catagory. :thumbs:

2 of my favs. Check out http://www.apistogramma.com

Panduro
Female
PANDUROFEMALE2BB.GIF

Cacutuoides
Triple Red
Male
TRmale.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back