Goldfish in California

Guppy Mama

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am in California and my goldfish are inside in an unheated tank. The average temperature is around 60 in their tank. I was told that they won't reproduce until the water gets to be 50 degrees. Now, this won't happen in my house!

If ut is indeed true, is there a safe way to lower the temerature gradually w/out hurting the fish?

I am very partial to my fish Loki (about 7 inches long) and I'd love to have baby Loki's one day/ Poor girl, I thought she was a he when she got named.

Thanks, Claire

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever, that's too cold to get them to try spawning! When Winter slowly hits Spring thats when they're triggered to breed. Think about it, Winter -> Cold - Warm <- Spring. lol, most people who don't try breeding their fish have more of a chance getting them to breed then the ones that try :p

Goldfish are use to cold temperatures, but when you hit the warmer months it gets them to doing their thing, my goldfish had loads of babies when it hit spring time. But I guess in different states/countries it would be different depending upon what enviornment they've adapted to. Would like to be informed with your sucess :thumbs: :D :lol: :p

You seem a bit offended AL she is right though. It not that she is in a different state/country it is that she is indoors. The 60 degree temps may be enought to get them to breed but if not you can alter your tank and get one of These it will chill your tank down another 10 degrees for you. As for spring -> warm why dont they spawn at summer -> warm? the reason is that they are not spawning because of the temps but rather because of the increased tamp they know that it is spring because spring comes after winter. you can acctualy breed goldfish 3-5 times a year by droping the temp below 50 and then raiseing it back (slowly enough to not kill/shock the fish).

Opcn

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back