The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Right now I have a 90 gallon unheated tank, sits between 67.9 and 69.8, throughout the day. I only stocked it 3 days ago with a pair of young red cap oranda goldfish, 3 dojo loaches, and a dozen white cloud mountain minnows. One loach bullied (I only noticed the one go after it) and killed one of the goldfish, and it died this morning.
Should I leave the tank be, as there has been no aggression towards the other goldfish? I was told that goldfish do better in groups rather than alone. I was aiming for 2 or 3 goldfish.

Yes they are very sociable fish that prefer the company of their own kind.

I very much doubt that a Dojo Loach would kill a goldfish. Much more likely that it was taking advantage of a fish that was ill, or dying.

That was what I figured. Whenever the goldfish would hide and rest, the loache would case and nip it.

I’d get two. You’ve room for a few fancies in a 90g. All the fancies are the same regarding maintenance so take your pick. And they’re all goldfish so it won’t matter to the fish which types you get. :)

I agree - get two if your tank will take it.

I think the rule of thumb with goldfish is minimum of 30g tank for the first fish, and an extra 20g for every extra one you add (I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will come and put me right :lol:), so you would have had room for another three in there if you wanted, except, of course, you have the loaches etc.. However it's best to never stock to full capacity just in case something happens to affect the water quality or oxygenate levels. Three (total) also looks more pleasing - I don't know why, but an odd number is just more attractive IMO.

And personally, I'd stick to all the same, but I like Matching Sets of things.

Goldfish get bigger than you think, and they could well scoff your minnows if they get the chance. They have a big bio load, too (ie they poo a LOT), so the more you have in there, there more you will need to change the water even in a big tank like yours.

I am actually consumed with envy at the thought of a 90g tank. CONSUMED! :<

I am planting it pretty heavily, so that the minnows have some chance. They are also cheap and plentiful around here. $3 each for the Golden variety.

Don't want it too heavily stocked, because goldfish poo a lot.

I am planting it pretty heavily, so that the minnows have some chance. They are also cheap and plentiful around here. $3 each for the Golden variety.

Don't want it too heavily stocked, because goldfish poo a lot.
It's not the cost of the little 'uns that worries me - it is that they suffer and die.

It's not the cost of the little 'uns that worries me - it is that they suffer and die.
It's not like I am intentionally feeding the goldfish minnows. It happens sometimes in community tanks, like guppies eating fry. I figured I'd have to replace a couple minnows a year as they get old and slow down. I have had some of them two years already, so they are in their middle age and will eventually start to slow down by the time the goldfish are adults. How do you think most ponds work? I am not intentionally being cruel, but fish will eat anything they can, and sometimes can't, fit in their mouths.

I know - I learned that the hard way myself.

Which is why I, personally, wouldn't put them together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back