Golden Wonder And Purple Spotted Goby

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OrignalWolf

Reaction score
Hi guys, new guy in town. Just picked up fish-keeping as a hobby in the last year or so. Just bought a new tank, a 29 gallon. I have been cycling the tank, and now i come down to the question. What to put in the tank? I have been an owner of a Golden wonder bachelor for about 8 months now. He had a mate, but she jumped out of the tank at the exact time i put the lid back on, effectively severing her spine. sad day. anyways, I was wondering if he would be in any way compatible with the purple spotted goby that i have had my eye on at the LFS. I have read that they get up to 6 inches, and will eat fish smaller than 3 inches. the goby is currently about 3.5 in. my killi is about 3.5 inches, so i would think he would be ok in the swallowing department. But, i want to know if they would fight or nip each other,etc. Obviously i don't want to put either of them through that. The killi has his own small 5 gallon tank that he is alone in right now (he was in a 10, but thru a series of complicated female issues, he is now in a 5.) I also understand that the goby likes slightly brackish water, but the guy at the LFS said that fresh suits them just fine(second opinion PLEASE). I am asking your opinion because i want a second opinion before i play with another creatures life and well being. Summary: i would like them to be tankmates, but not enough that i would want to hurt them.

Thanks for reading

The goby is a nipper, but on the other hand, they occupy different strata in the tank. The goby lives at the bottom and the golden wonder at the top. Panchax are also extremely hardy and don't require the soft, acidic water that other killies need. In that sense you will be fine.

so I put them together. I was worried about the Golden Wonder being bullied by the Goby, but it is not so. I don't know if this is an agressive thing or a dominance thing or what, but the GW just floats very near to the goby, some times right on top of him. The goby is totally docile, and so is the GW, but I don't know if this is going to cause stress. Will it cause stress, or will the GW eventually give the goby space?

Thank you for reading. some advice would be appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back