Golden Panchax In 125gal, Q's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Amunet

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I want to make the 10gal in our computer room in to a shrimp tank so will be moving those fish (1 male golden panchax killifish, 2 male platy) in to the 125.
Would it be ok to get more of the killifish? Or should we just stick with the 1?
The ones at the petstore are usually still really small, so I would really hate to get one only to have it get picked on, BUT since the tank is so big, maybe there would be enough room for it/them to hide?
Keeping just the 1 is no problem if that would be best, but my DH has hinted at wanting more of them.

IF it's ok to get more, then what sexes should we get? A female? 2 females and another male? Only females? etc etc :p

And if this info is needed... other fish that will be in the tank, platy, cories, tiger barbs, giant danio, black ghost knife, clown loaches, rainbow fish (maybe) and probably peacock eels.

what kind of a question is that a 125gal wud obviously be more than enough room for another one by the time they have swam round the tank they will have doubled in age

I have 2 fully grown Males in my 125G, and a few pairs would be fine in yours.
They should also be fine with your other tankmates

what kind of a question is that a 125gal wud obviously be more than enough room for another one by the time they have swam round the tank they will have doubled in age

Thanks for trying to make me feel stupid! You're a lot of help! -_-

I'd rather make sure it was ok than just ASSUME it was b/c the tank is big.

I have 2 fully grown Males in my 125G, and a few pairs would be fine in yours.
They should also be fine with your other tankmates

Alrighty, thanks a bunch :)

Another male and 2-4 females sound ok? Or would it be better to try to aim for pairs?

In most cases Killifish males do not get along so females would be a better choice. Remember not to keep small tetras when this fish is around, And a tight fitting lid or coverglass is essential.
Regards
BigC

Thanks BigC.
This tank won't have any small fish in it due to the other tank inhabitants (mainly the black ghost knife).
And the lids cover almost all of the top minus very small openings for the filter and cords :)

Thanks BigC.
This tank won't have any small fish in it due to the other tank inhabitants (mainly the black ghost knife).
And the lids cover almost all of the top minus very small openings for the filter and cords :)

2Males and 4 females should be fine,

BigC is obviously the guy to listen to but IME my two Males get on well, much of the time they can be found in close proximity to each other but sometimes they will be at opposite ends of the tank doing their own thing.

Okedoke. I'm just hesitant to get another male b/c this killifish bullied another that we had. BUT it was a smaller tank, so maybe he'd be ok w/ another in the 125 *shrugs*

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back