gold apple snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

walah

Reaction score
i got given 3 gold apple snails on sat not realising that my yo yo loach would take a liking to them....i came down this morning and 1 was floating on the top, i put it onto a rock and it floated back up again....

Can anyone give me any information about these snails and is the floating 1 dead?

Well I think looking into the shell would be a nice idea ;) Plus if theres a dead snail and the shell fills up with water wont it sink?

Hi Walah,
I have had Apple Snails in the past. And if I remember correctly, once they are dead you would notice the shell to be very light and empty. They don't stay in the shell once dead. But if the shell is still closed then leave it that way a few days. I have had this to happen to mine. They might float for 3 or 4 days. :) Then one day you will notice a sack of eggs attached to a plant, rock, drift wood, or even the side. I really don't remember how long it takes for them to hatch though sorry :( about that. Here is a web site that I just found. Maybe it would be of more help. HTH-Hope This Helps..... Good luck....God Bless.........Tom & Linda

http://www.applesnail.net/

thanx for your replies, when i got home from work there was a dead snail but dont know if it was the floating one or not...the 2 that are left have their shell doors closed so im assuming they are still alive....for the time being!!

2 good ways to see if they are dead.

1) Pull gently on the snails foot. If it just comes out then its dead. When they are alive then a muscle holds the foot in place.

2) Smell it! Dead snails stink to high heaven.

I've had apple snails before. I was told they were hard to breed so I gave them a tank of their own.. Little did I find out they wouldn't stop breeding and I constantly found yellow/whiteish eggs that looked like a circled maze of eggs lining up to make a filled in circle. Too hard to describe. But they wouldn't stop breeding and I had told the place where I had gotten them and they were a little shocked but I know I wasn't cause I hated it.. Mine did that to they just stayed at the top sometimes they would come out and other times they stayed in their and it turned out they were dying or something lol... :) :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back