Go Big

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
Personally, I think it is a waste of time (& money) to get a tank smaller than 36#...... Nothing really that you can put in there, & if you whish to "landscape".... one rock, 3 plants, and you're done..... Stocking it.... 17 to 21 fishies (small) 8 to 12 mediums..... No large. Eventually you'll want to go bigger in any case, so why not just start off with the 36" at least. Hint for beginners?? (also less maintenance).
 
Personally, I think it is a waste of time (& money) to get a tank smaller than 36#...... Nothing really that you can put in there, & if you whish to "landscape".... one rock, 3 plants, and you're done.....

Would you like links to hundreds of "landscaped" small tanks that shoot your theory down in flames. :P

Dave.

P.S. I am sure you are just playing Devil`s Advocate. ;)
 
I agree, because I started out with a 36" tank and it was so much better than any 10 gallon I ever had. It certainly helped with the "Oh, I like that fish! I want it!" syndrome, since it was actually a good size for some common fish.

Celaeno, you don't have to be rich to get a 30 gallon. Look on craigslist, ebay, garage sales, etc, and you are bound to find one really cheap. Fish keeping is expensive if you want to buy everything new. :P

Personally, I think it is a waste of time (& money) to get a tank smaller than 36#...... Nothing really that you can put in there, & if you whish to "landscape".... one rock, 3 plants, and you're done.....

Would you like links to hundreds of "landscaped" small tanks that shoot your theory down in flames. :P

Dave.

P.S. I am sure you are just playing Devil`s Advocate. ;)
Yes, but most of those tanks require much more work than most newbies can do. ;) :P
 
I agree, because I started out with a 36" tank and it was so much better than any 10 gallon I ever had. It certainly helped with the "Oh, I like that fish! I want it!" syndrome, since it was actually a good size for some common fish.

Celaeno, you don't have to be rich to get a 30 gallon. Look on craigslist, ebay, garage sales, etc, and you are bound to find one really cheap. Fish keeping is expensive if you want to buy everything new. :P

Personally, I think it is a waste of time (& money) to get a tank smaller than 36#...... Nothing really that you can put in there, & if you whish to "landscape".... one rock, 3 plants, and you're done.....

Would you like links to hundreds of "landscaped" small tanks that shoot your theory down in flames. :P

Dave.

P.S. I am sure you are just playing Devil`s Advocate. ;)
Yes, but most of those tanks require much more work than most newbies can do. ;) :P

and the limited fish you can get in those tanks is kinda worthless imo unless your into shrimp...

I agree with ludwig, but no rather 36"+ but go as big as you can afford, and I mean really push the budget as you will regret it later on if u dont...
 
because not everyone is rich like you.

Geez.... I wish... I'm actually suggesting this to SAVE you money, cause if you get that little one, you are going to want that big one eventually...... so, save for the big one from the onset.
 
I got my 50 gallon cheap from the paper, That's the best way to get a good sized tank for less. And many times they come with everything you will need!
 
I agree w/Ludwig!!! Couldn't make up my mind and now I have 7 tanks ranging in size from 125 usg to 10 usg.

well, I'm also going through MTS at the moment :blush:

and I should add that ALL my tanks were used except one and I got good deals :)

because not everyone is rich like you.
sounds like it could be a very bitter reply :sly:

or you could be joking w/him :lol:

I guess we'll never know :unsure:
 
Personally, I think it is a waste of time (& money) to get a tank smaller than 36#...... Nothing really that you can put in there, & if you whish to "landscape".... one rock, 3 plants, and you're done.....

Would you like links to hundreds of "landscaped" small tanks that shoot your theory down in flames. :P

Dave.

P.S. I am sure you are just playing Devil`s Advocate. ;)

totaly agree.

there are lots of fish about that will be happy in a tank under 36 inch

i have 4 under 36 inch and 1 over 36 inch
 
It's a lot easier to add a few more fish here and there to larger tanks though. If some of the newbies started out w/a bigger tank they wouldn't be so grossly overstocked :crazy:
 
how many newbies actually think that bigger is easier/better, i started with a 4ft and was scared witless, but i only got it as it was the only one i got get my hands on, full setup for £30 if you dont mind :)
but no, i would think that as a starter anyone would think ( unless advised) start out small and get bigger, i was up to 12 tanks at one time, im now 9 and very happy, tho 2 are empty, ill get round to filling them one day :)
 
how many newbies actually think that bigger is easier/better, i started with a 4ft and was scared witless, but i only got it as it was the only one i got get my hands on, full setup for £30 if you dont mind :)
but no, i would think that as a starter anyone would think ( unless advised) start out small and get bigger, i was up to 12 tanks at one time, im now 9 and very happy, tho 2 are empty, ill get round to filling them one day :)

Starting bigger gives you more leeway for mistakes :D, Dilution is the solution to polution :D
 
Can I point out a fairly obvious point thats been overlooked here?

As someone else stated, if you've got plenty of cash to play around with - by all means start big. But for us normal folks, whatever we paid for our first tank is what we could afford at the time. As someone new to the hobby, are you really going to spend months saving for a big tank when you don't even know if you like fish that much?

Let assume you did: you saved all this money, got some nice big fish in there. And killed them, because you forgot to cycle - or trusted your LFS. Or you bought the wrong size or sort of filter - I mean, "Eheim" for £70 filter or "Hyongkongongking enterprises" filter for £30 - surely they both work, right?

Most people aren't willing to sink a substantial investment into a big tank until they know a) they like the hobby, b) how to avoid the beginners mistakes that will break tanks or kill fish - (your bigger, more expensive fish I might add) and c) what kit to buy.



Theres alot of people nodding back thinking with hindsight, saying yes its a good idea to buy big at the start. The only reason you know that though is because you've learned alot of lessons - most of them, the hard way - by making mistakes and learning from your experiences. Don't get me wrong - if my best mate told me he wanted to get a tank, I'd find him a small one - and if he liked it, I'd recommend a big one straight after. But thats because he can turn to me for every single question he has, to stop him making the mistakes all beginners do.

Aren't you glad that in the first tank you had it was only 6 neons you killed, rather than 6 discus?
Hopefully that puts it into some sort of context.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top