GloFish has gone too far now...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GloFish were first created for a specific purpose, they were never intended to be sold to fish keepers. But then someone realised there would be a demand for them so they were marketed to the tropical fish trade. They were popular which was the incentive for creating more GloFish species.
I would blame marketing people rather than scientists. It's marketing people who have caused the demand for them, and all the newer species. Scientists just wanted them for specific research, fish that would glow in polluted water to help them detect toxins.

The old phrase from the original jurassic Park comes to mind time and again when I see things like this.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Some blame goes to marketing or people who are attracted to the novelty, but toying with nature is just like the road to hell: paved with good intentions, and littered with bad results.

Last edited:
The old phrase from the original jurassic Park comes to mind time and again when I see things like this.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Some blame goes to marketing or people who are attracted to the novelty, but toying with nature is just like the road to hell, full of good intentions, and littered with bad results.
There are a lot of good quotes from the Jurassic park/world movies.
That is definitely a good one

They should call one of these movies... Jurassic Park: You Had One Job
Yup. Lol 🤣🤣
I really enjoyed all of them except for the very last one, JW: Dominion. There was a lot of hype and then I saw it. I felt like the story was really good but there was a few gaps, I remember thinking that after first seeing the movie.
Then I just feel like there was something else missing... I don't know. It just felt weird after I saw it

Again, glo-danios were developed only to test water. They were highly copyrighted creatures designed in the same way a lot of danios have been genetically modified for cancer research. A cousin of mine worked with danios, as a cancer researcher., although there were no glos in his work.

Someone saw the commercial potential, and off we go. Don't blame the researchers - this one is on the market. The goal behind glo-danios was that people should have clean water. Greed always finds a way.

So we don't buy them, and if we're new to this and consider them a problem, we let them live out their lives unbred and undistributed. Maybe once the novelty wears off, they'll go the way of the dye injected glassfish, the flowerhorn or those first wave, really deformed bloody parrots. I expect they'll be with us for a while, but glo-fish could not be sold here for copyright reasons, and once that was lifted, the mania for them was only for about a year.

Jurassic world was very scary but exciting at the same time. 🥴
I never watched Dominion, so can't really say. I enjoyed the first Jurassic World movie, but Fallen Kingdom is probably the weakest Jurassic movie, imo.

I never watched Dominion, so can't really say. I enjoyed the first Jurassic World movie, but Fallen Kingdom is probably the weakest Jurassic movie, imo.
She was talking about the Jurassic World movie.
I wasnt a huge fan of fallen kingdom either BUT I did enjoy it more than Dominion.
To me, fallen kingdom was just a copy of Jurassic Park The Lost World.
But I have to say, it's very realistic with what could happen if there was something like that.
The velociraptor was the start to humans working with dinosaurs and weaponizing them. Indonimous Rex was the start to hybridization and influencing certain predatory and intelligence traits. The indoraptor was the best of both, meaning you could train it easier. It was also stealthy and could kill almost anything but it's downfall was what started its creation...
Then the whole idea fell when the dinosaurs were released into the mainland of the U.S. While sea and air dinosaurs went to other continents.
This was a major blow to Wu and Hoskin's militaristic view on these guys and then BioSyn took over in Dominion which I won't spoil.

Again, glo-danios were developed only to test water. They were highly copyrighted creatures designed in the same way a lot of danios have been genetically modified for cancer research. A cousin of mine worked with danios, as a cancer researcher., although there were no glos in his work.

Someone saw the commercial potential, and off we go. Don't blame the researchers - this one is on the market. The goal behind glo-danios was that people should have clean water. Greed always finds a way.

So we don't buy them, and if we're new to this and consider them a problem, we let them live out their lives unbred and undistributed. Maybe once the novelty wears off, they'll go the way of the dye injected glassfish, the flowerhorn or those first wave, really deformed bloody parrots. I expect they'll be with us for a while, but glo-fish could not be sold here for copyright reasons, and once that was lifted, the mania for them was only for about a year.
Definitely.
Scientists wanted to study while others just wanted the money (it's true because it rymes)

Seriously though, there is ZERO place for genetic manipulation of anything, especially not as a vanity project.

Nature is perfectly capable of producing its own colourscheme, humans should not be meddling with it (especially when humans have no idea what damage is being done in the longterm)

Generally I agree wif u. Until it comes to mosquitos. If u have ever had Dengue fever or Zika or Chick-V. I think u change ur mind.
I had all three and I wish they would release sterile male mosquitos.
Mosquitos kill more ppl every year then any other creature..
As a driver.. I be damn happy to see that glowing Great Green before it bit my butt🤣🤣

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back