GloFish has gone too far now...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I wouldn't own one, but we have to be realistic. They will sell, and sell very well.

Sure, they are copyrighted results of gene splicing. Do I think that should be done to fish? No.

The fish isn't harmed, and while I think we should use this hobby to learn about bio-diversity and the natural history of our fish, how many people do that? If you have long fins, pearl scales, balloons or hybrids of any fish, then you can't denounce glo-corys. Well, you can, but your argument is undermined from the get go.

Celestial goldfish and balloon rams make these things look downright desirable. At least they aren't playing with intentionally created handicaps.

Two big subsets of the hobby are those who like naturally occurring forms of fish, and those who like modified fish. Judging from stores, nature lovers are running a distant second in numbers.

I wouldn't own one, but we have to be realistic. They will sell, and sell very well.

Sure, they are copyrighted results of gene splicing. Do I think that should be done to fish? No.

The fish isn't harmed, and while I think we should use this hobby to learn about bio-diversity and the natural history of our fish, how many people do that? If you have long fins, pearl scales, balloons or hybrids of any fish, then you can't denounce glo-corys. Well, you can, but your argument is undermined from the get go.

Celestial goldfish and balloon rams make these things look downright desirable. At least they aren't playing with intentionally created handicaps.

Two big subsets of the hobby are those who like naturally occurring forms of fish, and those who like modified fish. Judging from stores, nature lovers are running a distant second in numbers.
Have to agree, but those fish are still sad to see, IMO...

You lot didn't expect the scientists at a company to stop making glowing things after they did black widow tetras and zebra danios, did you?

They have been given the green light to play God and they are doing that. In the future, assuming the human race doesn't die in the next 30 years due to climate change or WW3, there will be more than GloFish. Think GloDogs, cats, rabbits, mice, reptiles and even birds. They're not going to stop with a few tetras. The genie is out of the bag and they are going to do whatever they want with it.

I have a plastic spider that is the same colour as the green Corydoras, and my racing sets had glow in the dark green lines and crash rails that luminesced after the lights were turned off.

GloFish Corydoras.jpg

I have no use for glows of any type. Nothing against those that want them but they are of no interest to me. I have fish and my bird as I like a bit of nature in my apartment. Glows have nothing to do with nature.

Glows have only been around for a little over ten years. That is not even close to long enough to know long term effects that may be caused.

I had glofish tetra many years ago. I noticed they did not live as long and grow as big as my regular white skirt tetras. I recommend avoiding glofish.

my question in all this is
if they decide to make a GloShark do we still call it great white or great green?

if they decide to make a GloShark do we still call it great white or great green?
At least you would see it in the dark of the deep ocean right before it bites you

Seriously though, there is ZERO place for genetic manipulation of anything, especially not as a vanity project.

Nature is perfectly capable of producing its own colourscheme, humans should not be meddling with it (especially when humans have no idea what damage is being done in the longterm)

make it easier to see them. . .

Just when you thought it was safer to go back into the water. "Jaws Green", the latest blockbuster action adventure film involving seals and humans. No seals were harmed during the filming of this but many surfers and humans did get eaten because they look like seals.

ahh it's a greeny
hawk spit
not that sort of greeny
greeny tied to a tree so it doesn't get cut down?
no
It's big, mean & green.
the incredible sulk?
no

Seriously though, there is ZERO place for genetic manipulation of anything, especially not as a vanity project.

Nature is perfectly capable of producing its own colour scheme, humans should not be meddling with it (especially when humans have no idea what damage is being done in the longterm)
People have been doing this for years though, it's not new. Long fin fish like fantail goldfish or fancy betta splendens, albinos, electric blue fish. Who has a yellow or white canary or budgie (parakeet)? They don't have those colours in the wild. Man made, all of them. Some are made by hybridising different species (wild canary and goldfinch), others from selective breeding and inbreeding.

There are plenty of food crops we eat that are hybrids or made from selective breeding. They were done slowly over time and tinkering with the base gene code didn't occur in a lab.

They will be modifying the genes in embryos soon too. They will be able to take sperm and eggs and pick out certain genetic features, remove others and make designer babies for people and animals. They can separate male and female sperm and have been able to for quite a while. If you are dark skinned and want a blonde haired blue eyed daughter, tell the lab what you want, donate the DNA samples and wait for a baby girl.

Elon Musk and others want to modify the genetic makeup of humans that go into space so they have more chance of surviving on other planets. Sound familiar (Star Trek) with the soldiers that were made smarter, stronger, faster and able to survive in different atmospheres the average human would die in. It will happen.

They will or should be screening all embryos for genetic issues and fixing them so we have a population of perfectly healthy people. Why should people only live to 70 or 80 and die from cancer or heart failure when a perfect human can live twice as long without diseases. Or have the aging gene turn off at 30 so you don't age or die from natural causes.

This will all happen in the next 100 years, assuming the human race survives the next 30 years and doesn't end up back in the stone age.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back