Glassworms

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever collected glassworms? I've bought them frozen, and have been told they like icy water.

It occurred to me I might find them in a local pond I'm expecting to try for Daphnia in the Spring, but it would be a little difficult in the icy conditions. So any advice from the experienced would help.

I have no fear of wild caught food and have collected daphnia, midge and mosquito larvae for years. This is a new beast to me under new conditions.

I have found them once during a winter lake invertebrate survey as part of a study to determine how much trout feed during the winter and what sources of food were available. We had only a few in a one of the plankton net haul. You would have to find some body of water with a higher concentration of them to make it worth while. Although with a plankton net you might be able to get other goodies.

After reading your question and remembering back to my wildlife management courses I thought to purchase a plankton net, I did not realize how expensive they are. The only way I would get one is the DIY method, women's nylons and a pill bottle on the end.

This year I experimented with mosquito larva, the fish were very impressed. I would like to expand my collecting where have you found daphnia and midges, I have found daphnia but never in large numbers, just one or two from pond water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back