Glass Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
was browsing at my local chain petstore the other day, hunting for a new black lyretail molly, and checking out the platies in stock. in with the platies they had the weirdest looking fish called a glass fish. its totally transparent, you can see its bones. oddly enough, i think they look really cool. i'm assuming theyre community fish if they were in with platies, but has anyone owned any or know much about them? planning to get a new and larger tank and was thinking of a gourami, some large tetras, some danios/rainbows/white clouds. think glass fish could go in there too?
here's link to a picture and some info, but if anyone has more to add, would love to hear it:
http://www.petsmart.com/articles/article_3719.shtml

All it says in Baesch's Aquarium Atlas is that "most species require salt or brackish".

If you like see-through fish, consider Glass Catfish. A friend has some - you need a school and plenty of undergrowth for them to hide in, but they like similar conditions to tetras and despite their delicate appearance, aren't all that delicate at all.

Just don't get the painted glass fish. They are injected with ink to make them have neon bright colors. Very harmful to the fish. There is a topic around here somewhere about it.

yeah, i saw them on a website, and as soon as i read that part about how they're colored, i said "nope". besides, the painted ones look a little freaky, the colors were sooooo unnatural. its the white/clear aspect that makes these fish cool looking to me.

Common Names: Glassfish
Indian Glassfish

Synonyms: Ambassis ranga
Chanda ranga
Pseudambassis ranga

Family: Ambassidae

Origin: India, Burma, Thailand.

Main Ecosystem: River

Temperament: Peaceful and timid. Once settled in they become a little territorial.

Diet: Carnivore

Care: Feed with flakes and small live foods. Live food should be feed at least once per week. Add some salt the water for better health. Keep some larger broad leaved plants in the tank and rocky hiding places.

Most reactions

Back