Glass Catfish used to be in middle of the tank now they hide all day

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Morg513

Reaction score
I had 7 glass catfish that used to all be active and hangout in the middle of the tank in the daytime, but starting a couple months ago they just started hiding all day and are only active at night. Not sure what changed that they spend their day hiding. I had no changes in lighting. My other fish include neon tetras, Corydoras, and panda Garras, which are all peaceful and leave them alone. Any suggestions on how to get them out and about again?

tank: 40 gallons and pretty planted
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-20 ppm

Glass Catfish become most active at night. (Sort of like a Pleco)

This is normal behavior. Have you noticed any bullying between the others?

Glass Catfish become most active at night. (Sort of like a Pleco)

This is normal behavior. Have you noticed any bullying between the others?
Nope, have not noticed any bullying. Just thought it was strange that they used to be out in the day and one day they stopped.

Nope, have not noticed any bullying. Just thought it was strange that they used to be out in the day and one day they stopped.
Who knows, it may be stress. Have you added anything or moved anything around recently?

Who knows, it may be stress. Have you added anything or moved anything around recently?
I did add some new neon tetras Which don’t bother them but I wonder if that could cause stress to them but they’ve been there for a couple months now.
I haven’t moved anything around but weekly I do a water change so I move the drift wood when doing that. That shouldn’t be new to them though I was doing that with them in there for a while.

I did add some new neon tetras Which don’t bother them but I wonder if that could cause stress to them but they’ve been there for a couple months now.
I haven’t moved anything around but weekly I do a water change so I move the drift wood when doing that. That shouldn’t be new to them though I was doing that with them in there for a while.
Anything new can/could cause stress.

I see nothing wrong here. :)

It could be that the fish are now behaving more normally than they were, having settled in. You don't say how long you've had them, only that this behaviour began "a couple months ago." If this fish is settled, not stressed, it will remain relatively motionless among plant thickets. It is naturally an ambush predator, so it remains hidden and will snap up suitable prey.

They need very quiet tankmates, but with neon tetras that shouldn't be a problem. Cories probably won't bother them (with activity, it is not extreme), panda garra the same.

I agree with @Byron they have settled in and acting normal, take it as a good sign. I have a tetra tank and love seeing them in tight schools swimming around but after awhile they stopped and just swim around on their own which tells me that they are not stressed and are relaxed which is a good thing.

It could be that the fish are now behaving more normally than they were, having settled in. You don't say how long you've had them, only that this behaviour began "a couple months ago." If this fish is settled, not stressed, it will remain relatively motionless among plant thickets. It is naturally an ambush predator, so it remains hidden and will snap up suitable prey.

They need very quiet tankmates, but with neon tetras that shouldn't be a problem. Cories probably won't bother them (with activity, it is not extreme), panda garra the same.
Thanks for the info. Probably had them about 2-3 months before they started hiding in the day time.

Attachments

• D63BAAD6-83D3-4C66-973C-132196C1F378.jpeg
    D63BAAD6-83D3-4C66-973C-132196C1F378.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 132
Nice looking tank, I would suggest putting a back ground picture or black paper on the back of the tank. Neon tetras do well in lower light. They are a South American jungle river/stream fish and like shade and floating plants, It also will show their colors better in dimmer light and less stress.

pictures of the fish?

your tank is part of the problem. white substrate, no picture on the back and very few plants. that will stress them. poor water quality will too.

put a picture on the back.
do a 75% water change and gravel clean the susbtrate every day for a week. make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
add some floating plants like water sprite.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back