give me everything on breeding corys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Good, loveless.

I believe that if one wants to get information on something, one must search for it. I think you shoudl do your own research because it's best for you to get informaqtion taht's not biased so you can sift through it and choose which breeding strategy to use.

This is one subject that crops up regularly; I will try to give you an easy description of the basics.

Most but not all Corydoras breed in the same manner, there are a few that need more coaxing to get them going but this will give you the basic idea.
The majority of Amazonian fish are triggered into spawning by the seasons of the year. Drought with little food followed by the floods with an abundance of food. This is usually the only stimulus they need to start breeding.
In the aquarium we have got to try and replicate the seasons of the year to induce spawning.
One way of doing this is as follows:

I use small tanks 18" x 15" x 15" for breeding Cory's, Silica sand substrate, 25C with small air driven foam filter, small bunch of Java Moss and Fern are sometimes used.
Select your Breeding stock having 2 males to 1 female.

Feed well on good quality foods such as Brine Shrimp, Bloodworm etc.
After two weeks of this the filter should be starting to slow down, and water movement should be relatively slow.
Gradually reduce the quantity of food but not the quality over the next week, do not clean the filter.
Now remove 50% of the water volume, Clean the filter and refill with water at a temperature of 20-22C.
You hopefully will find lots of eggs stuck firmly to the glass and on any plants present the next morning, remove parents and add 1 drop per gallon of Methylene Blue.
Eggs should hatch in about three days at 26C and should be fed Microworm or Baby Brine Shrimp as first food after they have used up their yolk sac (a further 2-3 days).
Please note this is only a rough idea of the principle.

Well...I am glad my corys breed easily. I use a 30 gal tank shallow, no filter, no gravel, just broken clay pots in the tank. There are a total of 9 cats in the tank, 6 males and 3 females. I keep the temp around 70 degrees. I feed heavy, and then stop for 2 days. While the eggs are being laid, I do not feed at all. This stopps them from laying. Keep in mind you must get the eggs out and fast they will eat them. I am lucky that my well water seem to be perfect for them, never had to add anything to it. I gather the eggs and place them in a live bears net and hang it back in the tank where they where laided. After the eggs hatch I keep them there for as long as possible, placing only a bubble filter in the tank to give a slow movement to the water. Keep in mind these are really very small babies, keeping them in a small area will help them find their food. 10% water change every couple of days. This method works for me and my high fins. Took me 2 years to get the babies to live and grow. This has been hit and miss for me for a long time, but this works for me, just a thought...Glee

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back