ghost shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had a successful batch.

Look for a greenish organ in the upper body near the head, these are the eggs and you're looking at a female. I'm horrible at sexing them, so I just picked out one of those and a handful of others (i was really only breeding them just because i hadn't before).

Once I got them in their own tank full of plants and plentiful food, they would just dissapear and reappear at random--I would keep up with two 20% water changes a week because they seemed to respond well to it.

Eventually the little greenish eggs will drop to their underside, and they'll be fanning them and holding them with their tiny underlegs all day long for a few weeks. At this point i would move the ones with eggs to another tank--one with no filtration or substrate or much of anything aside from water.

Sooner or later the eggs would be gone, the water would be kind of cloudy--but full of tiny specks on closer inspection. At this point all the larger shrimp would go back to the other tank and I'd do 10% water changes each day in this tank (placing a fine mesh over the end of the water changing tube so i didn't suck any of them up).

For food, I just had a water glass I kept 3/4 full of water on my balcony that had a bottom I'd coated in leaves and a small amount of clean dirt and some other debris the same day I'd moved the preggo shrimp to the birthing tank. By this time it was teaming with bacteria, so each day I would just put a teaspoon full of the water into the tank and replace the water in the glass with some tank water.

They grew, some died, most didn't, and their diet went from protozoa to finely ground fish food to small flakes.

eventually I had some fully-developed tiny shrimp which I threw in my tank or gave away, and then I found that everything ate them. So . . . uh . . . you may want to keep a 10 gallon around to get them to a decent size before doing anything with them. That's what I would do. Next time. :X

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back