ghost shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kitababy

Reaction score
I am needing help. What do ghost shrimp eat? Just purchased some ghost shrimp. I know that he eat off of the bottom. If someone could help me that would be great. Thanks a bunch in advance.

~Kim~

Ours eat leftover food, fish waste, really well broken up shrimp pellets. These guys are like little Hoovers for your tank.

When we got them today, we also noticed that some had little eggs in their tummy. So we have some that are pregnant. We also put them in with Guppies/Farm. Do you think they will do okay with them We purchased about 5 ghost shrimp. The tank size is 10gal. Do you think we should get a bigger tank? Also, do Oscars eat ghost shrimp? Thanks again for all the help.

~Kim~

Oscars will without a doubt eat them. People buy Ghosts to feed to Oscars in fact.

I also recently purchased some ghost shrimp to do some "hoovering" in my tanks. I got a real bargain because I was only charged for 3 and when I got them home, I discovered 6 and one of them is (I think) full of eggs. They look like greenish little balls in her abdomen. Anyway, not wanting to "over stock" my tanks, I spread them out into most of my tanks.

As far as the oscar, yes they love them. I didn't put any in with my oscar (yet- although if the eggs hatch I might need to "move some" for population control). :S

flintstone said:
I discovered 6 and one of them is (I think) full of eggs. They look like greenish little balls in her abdomen.
Yup those are eggs. They carry them on the outside under their tails. We had 2 pregnant ones but lost the eggs due to treating for Ich. :angry:

When I purchased my ghost shrimp they had tones of eggs under them. Now they are no longer there. Does anyone know how long before the eggs will hatch. It has been about 4 days now. How long does it take? Thanks again for everyone help and advice.
~Kim~

I've heard roughly 3 weeks but never got a chance to see them hatch. If you do a search on the forums you should come up with at least 2 very good posts from other members.

its very very hard to breed these guys unless ur on top of them 24/7 so when they do lay the eggs u can remove the mom immediately

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back