Ghost Shrimp

tennis4you

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA - Ohio
I have a small 30 gallon community tank at work. 8 tetra & 3 dainos. I would like to add some ghost shrimp in there. Can I do that and expect them to survive? Do they need food?

Thanks!
 
They should survive and do best when fed a bit of food each day. They will often find bits that haven't been eaten by the fish but danios don't normally leave anything for the others so you might need to offer a bit extra. Normal flake food is fine for them.
 
shouldnt be a problem for you...i recently dropped 2 ghosts in my big community and hadnt seen them for a week (assumed the worst) but yesterday i saw one running across the bottom of the tank. make sure you have plenty of hiding places and theyll be ok
 
I will have to work on the hiding spaces then, there are some plants in there that will provide some cover, not tons.

I just swapped the gravel for sand yesterday. I assume I should wait until the tank is at least cycled to put them in? I also assume they will be fine in sand?
 
I have a well planted 72 gallon with gravel substrate. I decided to buy some Ghost Shrimp on a whim. They were 12 feeders for $1.00. After two months I still have two left. They were the biggest of the group. They survive off whatever food falls to the bottom. Every once in a while I'll drop a sinking shrimp pellet for them.
 
I have one in my 30 gallon which is planted and with a sand substrate. He's fine on it. He does a good cleanup job and I also make sure to drop an algae pellet or little clump of flake food in his direction at feeding time. He's a really voracious eater, although he is a bit naughty , he steals and eats the shed skins of my Amano shrimp before they have a chance to eat them . Yours should do just fine on sand :) It's good to have places for them to hide and rest, such as a piece of bogwood or some plants ( mine is king of his bogwood ) Good Luck :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top