Getting a Pirhana...help!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MarshmallowXXX

Reaction score
My girlfriend is buying me a pirhana and I have been told all types of things to get and not to get. I am only going to have 1 fish. What types of chemicals and food and what size of tank should I look into. I have been to 5 or so fish stores and they all range from telling me I will spend around 150 for everything to 400 for everything. AHHHH What should I be looking at? Please do what you can to help a newbie out. Thanks a lot

JUGGALO RYDAZ of St. Louis

From what I understand, you're going to need alot of room, a place for the pirhanna to hide, a good filtering system, protein skimmer, a good water test kit, and many more things. You're probably going to spend more than 400$ too. I've seen a few cool threads on pirhannas here, you might want to go through a few pages to see.

I don't know much about piranhas but I do know they're fish and all fish need a cycled tank. Make sure you know about cycling and I strongly suggest you consider using fishless cycling techniques before you get your piranha. Follow the link in my sig for further information if you don't want your piranha ownership to be a short-lived affair.

You could also try posting to the New World Cichlid section of the forum.

Navarone said:
From what I understand, you're going to need alot of room, a place for the pirhanna to hide, a good filtering system, protein skimmer, a good water test kit, and many more things.
Protein skimmer ???? Ive never heard of marine pirhanas before :lol: Protein skimmers only work in salt water so adding one to a freshwater tank would be pointless.

Also Alien Anna, pirhanas are characins (same family as neons and other tetras :eek: ) not cichlids :p just so you know for future refference :nod:

Pirhanas are quite delicate fish and require excellent water conditions so as mentioned you will need a huge filter, something double the required size for the tank would be best.
Also you need to know what species of pirhana you are getting, redbellys which are the most commonly seen species really need to be in a group of at least 4 or they will be very shy and skittish, they also require a large heavily planted tank, tank size needs to be a minimum of 75 gallons really.
As for feeding, bloodworms will be good for small pirhanas but as they grow they will require more protein in their diet. I would suggest staying away from live feeders due to the disease element and using meaty frozen foods like silversides, mussels and cockles, small pieces of chicken breast (uncooked) will be eaten too. Stay away from foods like beefheart as they are very fatty and create a lot of mess.

PIRHANAS, I had a BIG PACU for about 3 years, he got to be 18-20" long an 8" high, an 3" wide, I use to feed him feeder goldfish, 6,everyouther day. havent see another big one in quite a while. I sold him to my LFS for his display tank. :nod: if your getting a BIG one better get a extra tank for feeder fish.
'GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN" 8)

I am only getting one. All of the places I have been say that a 20+ gallon tank will be sufficient for this. Are they all full of ####?

MarshmallowXXX said:
I am only getting one. All of the places I have been say that a 20+ gallon tank will be sufficient for this. Are they all full of ####?
Im sorry to say but yes, even one pirhana will get too big for a 20g. If thats the biggest tank you can get then you need to seriously reconsider what fish you are going to get. Pirhanas are a big shoaling fish and need big tanks and company of their own kind.

MarshmallowXXX said:
I am only getting one.  All of the places I have been say that a 20+ gallon tank will be sufficient for this.  Are they all full of ####?

What species??? Please help us help you. :)

But to answer your question...no, a 20g won't hold any p I've ever seen sold. They are either really stupid for telling you something like that when they don't know for sure or don't care about the fish and just want the sale.

If you're talking about rbp's (I say that because that's the most popular at most fish stores) then you would be terribly dissapointed getting just one, like CFC said. All he will do is hide. They need the safety and protection of others in the shoal to feel safe. IMO and IME, rbp's are boring and are to the piranha world as to what Oscars are to the cichlid world, just not tough at all. If you're not into that, then you're good to go. :) There's nothing bad about that at all but if you want a mean fish then I would look at serras instead of a pygo. There are a couple of baddies that like to be loners. Either way you'll need a lot bigger tank than a 20g! :crazy:

More like a 75g at an absolute minimum.

Well, I am wanting an agressive fish that I can feed other fish to. I dont want to be spending all sorts of money (no more than 250 or 300) and i have limited space....a 29gallon is pushing it really, but it can fit.

I was lookin at the Red Bellied Pirhana by the way for the ? up there

Maybe you all can help me find a different fishy or family of fishes

MarshmallowXXX said:
Well, I am wanting an agressive fish that I can feed other fish to. I dont want to be spending all sorts of money (no more than 250 or 300) and i have limited space....a 29gallon is pushing it really, but it can fit.
What's with this obsession to feed fish on other fish? Is it a macho thing or something? I just don't get it! If you wanted a piranha because they are interesting, unusual fish, I could understand it, but this seems more to do with some sort of bloodsport mentality.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

MarshmallowXXX said:
If watching your fish kill other fish for fun is the only reason you want to keep fish then you are posting on the wrong forum, people here care about fish and dont want to see them torn up just for some kind of sick pleasure. As i have already warned you the use of feeders results in the deaths of thousands of fish every year and is not a good diet nutritionally. The feeding of live fish should only be a last resort if a predator will not accept any other foods.
If the 29g is the biggest tank you can accomidate then pirhanas are not for you, in fact most predatory fish grow too large for a tank that small, i would suggest some nice mollies, if you leave the babies in with them you can watch the parents eating them and get your kicks that way. :angry:

Actually, I just wanted an agressive fish because it fits my personality. So everyone that has been ripping on me....thanks cuz it just fuels my fire. I am not a sick person, I just like domanance and agressiveness. Thats all.

But if you can help me out in any other way possible, like helping me find a fish to suit my wants, I would be appreciative.

Thanks

MarshmallowXXX said:
Actually, I just wanted an agressive fish because it fits my personality. So everyone that has been ripping on me....thanks cuz it just fuels my fire. I am not a sick person, I just like domanance and agressiveness. Thats all.

But if you can help me out in any other way possible, like helping me find a fish to suit my wants, I would be appreciative.
Wouldn't the money be better spent on anger management classes then?

Aggressive fish aren't aggressive just because, they're aggressive because they have to be so to survive. They don't do it for some kind of sick enjoyment. If you want a smaller aggressive fish, I suggest a CAE or a pufferfish. However, it won't eat other fish, although it might massacre a few bloodworms for you.

Caring for fish (even aggressive ones) is about caring, not taking it out on dumb animals.

Most reactions

Back