Jason Wakelin
New Member
Hi all,
I've got to say, working with reptiles seems a lot easier than fish (for the moment)! Anyway, my next question involves water changes. Assuming I am able to successfully do a fishless cycle on my kids new 10gallon tank, it seems like water changes are the next challenge. I keep reading that a 50% change should be done every week. My question is, how exactly do you do a proper water change? Obvdiously I can't just scoop out 5 gallons and immediately pour in 5 gallons of tap water, or can I? I would assume that the new water would need to be the same temp as the tank water. And should I use de chloronation products, or let the water sit for a day before I use it? I hate to sound like an idiot here, but better that than killing off my kids fish when the tank is finally ready. If anyone out there could give me a simple, effective procedure for a water change on a 10 gallon I would really appreciate it! Also am I correct in assuming that is the next thing I need to learn after how to properly cycle the tank?
Thanks,
Jason
I've got to say, working with reptiles seems a lot easier than fish (for the moment)! Anyway, my next question involves water changes. Assuming I am able to successfully do a fishless cycle on my kids new 10gallon tank, it seems like water changes are the next challenge. I keep reading that a 50% change should be done every week. My question is, how exactly do you do a proper water change? Obvdiously I can't just scoop out 5 gallons and immediately pour in 5 gallons of tap water, or can I? I would assume that the new water would need to be the same temp as the tank water. And should I use de chloronation products, or let the water sit for a day before I use it? I hate to sound like an idiot here, but better that than killing off my kids fish when the tank is finally ready. If anyone out there could give me a simple, effective procedure for a water change on a 10 gallon I would really appreciate it! Also am I correct in assuming that is the next thing I need to learn after how to properly cycle the tank?
Thanks,
Jason
) Empty that down the sink and fill up your bucket with warm water from the tap, roughly matching the temp by hand. Add dechlor (buy the pond stuff, under 1ml treats this size bucket) and pour the water back into the tank (I use a jug, disturbs the sand less that way) Job done 






