German Blue Rams?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brahmza

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just transitioned from a 20g tank to a 55g tank. I was curious if I would be able to put a pair or two of German Blue Rams or even Gold Rams. My current setup consists of: 3 Tinfoil barbs, 5 Tiger barbs, 1 BN Pleco, 1 spotted cory, 2 dwarf gouramis and a mix of leopard/longfin danios. The danios will be going back of needed. Mainly curious if they would do alright with my barbs and gouramis, assuming I have adequate coverage such as caves and plants. Any advice would be wonderful. This is my first tank above 30g.
If not, any advice on some cool tank mates to go well with these fish? Was thinking of adding more tiger barbs and getting a few pearl gouramis and a green Cory to go with ny spotted Cory. But I'm not too positive. Using the 400gph marineland 90g aquarium filter.

what is the temp and ph of the tank?
also i think you would have to return the danios since they are temperate fish and wouldnt lve that long n the higher temperatures GBRs require, same with the cory (unless ts sterbai)

My temp has been sitting at 80 degrees Fahrenheit since I've had the fish. All of them have been doing well and are really enjoying the larger tank. But again, the danios aren't very important. And I'll be honest, I've never checked the pH in my tanks because I have my own well at my house and have been told I only have to worry about temperature. Granted I'm assuming this is a mistake, I can always get a kit.

Rams are not the easiest fish to keep. Not only do they have special water quality needs, they also have a hard time competing with aggressive fish like barbs. My recommendation would be to up the number of your cory cat from 1 to 6, and look at kribs for a good cichlid to add. Though not as colorful they are very hardy and very adaptable. Another possible cichlid to consider would be cryptoheros sajica. Keep an eye on your tinfoil barbs, they will out grow your tank pretty quick and have the potential of growing to more than 10".

I've got a pair of GBRs and my honey gouramis are the only fish they bother. It's not a big deal at all, occasionally the rams will chase the gouramis away for a few seconds but no damage done at all and nothing to worry about. All the other fish just get ignored.

Only asking if they will be compatible with my other fish. My tinfoils are only 3 inches from mouth to tail, and when they outgrow my tank I will be replacing them. I'm adding 2 pearl gouramis and 3 green Corys. Removing my danios and panda Cory and adding a pair of GBRs. If the GBRs arent going to harm my other fish, I will be able to make it work. Once the tinfoils reach 6-7" I'll be swapping them out for younger ones.

the dwarf gouramis and pearl gouramis will most likely fight

Most reactions

Back