German Blue Ram

Petsmart is usually a very big no no. But recently ours has really improved. The rams do look really nice. In the tank there whey are colorful and struting around.

Yeah pets at home used to be called petsmart lol, we have 4 near by and they're all terrible.

Petsmart here in MI is really terrible. I feel so bad for those fish! :(

Like I said, ours has picked up. They seem to be hiring more intelligent staff as well. The rams are doing fine atm. The female looks as if her breeding tube is starting to appear.

They laid eggs! I am unsure if they are fertile though. They are kinda see-through. With my experience, that's not a good sign. Maybe they need time to develop color.

She is dead. I moved her into a 47 g with some community fish (mollies, gourami, female betta) once they laid eggs as the female was being bullied. I was planning on reintroducing the male today. Hmmm. Anyone know what could have gone wrong? Water is perfect.

I think your water is just too hard for rams. Have you thought about having Bolivians instead? They much more tolerant.

Sometimes we just can't keep the fish we want to because our water's not right for them. It's a little disturbing to me that people have warned you that your water isn't right for them and you keep having them die on you and yet you persist in buying more :sad:

Can you run through your exact water conditions for me please? As much detail as possible including temperature.

Fluttermouth: They are being sold in this water. Whoever they sell them to has this pH. It's our waters pH, and I have tried lowering it with R/O to no avail. I also asked them what the pH of the water is that they are shipped in. Apparently it runs at about 8.7 which is .3 higher than my pH and I drip acclimate them. So, I do not see that as being an issue.

Water stats as of last night:

NitrAte: 30ppm (they are due for a gravel vac and waterchange in the next day or so)
NitrIte: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm
pH: 8.4
kH and gH: N/A (the luquid tests wont give me a reading).

We soften our water, but the water I am using is from our outdoor faucet, therefore no softner.

I am not new to keeping fish, my water is in very good shape. They are in a overfilter 47g, with only5 mollies, 1 female betta, 1 female gourami, and a few ghost shrimp as tankmates, therefore over stocking and any kind of ammonia or nitrIte or nitrAte spike is VERY unlikely.

I agree with Flutter mouth about the PH, that is incredibly high, also I'd raise the temperature by a few degrees, Blue Rams do like it warm, as a replacement you could go for Bolivian Rams instead, not as colourful but definitely just as beautiful.

They do not have Bolivians. I will try another female ram, as my warranty is still good. If the male looked sickly, I would not bother, But he is strutting his stuff and eating well. I would agree on the pH but they said they were raised and shipped in a high pH. I have also heard of others keeping them in a high pH. I also know that I can give those rams a better home than just about anyone else who walks into that petstore.

I don't think it's the pH that's the issue; it's the hardness of your water, IMHO. Have you thought about using filtered rainwater?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back