German blue ram eggs fertile?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mjmj02

Reaction score
Hey again. So update on the ich first. I am actually not 100% sure if it was ich or not. The spots aren't on the oto anymore after I gave him a salt bath. He has actually started eating more and seems more active. However, I have no idea if it will come back because it has been like a week and there have not been much symptoms on other fish. Okay back to the GBRs aha.

I am also hesitant to just heat up the tank anyways because my German Blue Rams actually laid eggs late last night. I moved all other fish out of the GBR tank to be safe just in case the eggs end up working out. It is their first spawn so I know that it isn't super likely that the parents will not eat them or not yet. But I am still interested if they are fertilized or not. What do you guys think?d
image.jpg

Yes it looks weird, and I would say the chance is that they will be infertile, unless the male was very close to her.

I’m curious as to why you say infertile. Just trying to learn. I see some white, infertile ones but others look clearer with dots inside. I know very little about rams though. :)

Because of the way they are spread out. Cichlids tend to lay eggs in lines, then the male fertilizers that line it is very precise. When eggs are placed randomly the male has less chance of fertilizing the eggs. I would have been interested in seeing how the adult fish were behaving during the spawn.
I’m curious as to why you say infertile. Just trying to learn. I see some white, infertile ones but others look clearer with dots inside. I know very little about rams though. :)

Because of the way they are spread out. Cichlids tend to lay eggs in lines, then the male fertilizers that line it is very precise. When eggs are placed randomly the male has less chance of fertilizing the eggs. I would have been interested in seeing how the adult fish were behaving during the spawn.
My videos are not very good of them. But at first, the male wasn’t very close to her. But in the middle, he started following close behind her for some of the eggs and then would leave and come back and follow her again.

Where are the adults now, I can't see them in the photo
I left them in the tank with the eggs and they are taking turns moving them around and watching them. I moved out all the other fish. Even if they aren’t fertile, it’s super cool to see how they are taking care of the eggs. Here is a picture of them. I’m sorry it’s not very good quality.
36BDC413-00CB-4FB4-A2B7-4F5F34DBAEF9.jpeg

Ah, gotcha. Thanks so much. :)

you need some flat rocks and caves in there for them to lay their eggs on.
Ya I agree. I didn’t really know that this was going to happen so I didn’t really think about that. Also, I think they starting eating most the eggs, but there are building a much larger, taller nest at the moment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back