General Chat, The Vote

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What is your favorite name for the proposed General Chat forum?

• Chit Chat

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • The Social Club

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Chat Central

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • TFF Open Discussion

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • General Chat

Votes: 27 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
omg what is wrong with just "general chat" with those suggestions I aint voting the least stupid is the coffe club but what about those who dislike coffe lol fictional or other wise
scot

Then just vote for "General Chat" like I did. Yeah, I voted for one of the "humorous" names too, but look at the numbers, GC is winning. Not voting is a vote not cast for the name GC if that is indeed the name you prefer.

llj

This is why General Chat will fail as even something as simple as choosing a name causing so much up-roar it's silly.

the chum bucket all the way
yes.gif
and the boring one is general chat
no.gif

Krusty Krab gets my vote all the way!

James.

Er, it's not exactly a fair poll, really? Because if all the options were in one poll, then people would be voting for their favourite single name. But since you've got it as two polls, and the winner of each will go against each other, you're essentially artificially giving the most popular rubbish name more votes. Because if it was a 'straight up' poll, there's no way they'd be getting as many votes as they appear to be getting.

Er, it's not exactly a fair poll, really? Because if all the options were in one poll, then people would be voting for their favourite single name. But since you've got it as two polls, and the winner of each will go against each other, you're essentially artificially giving the most popular rubbish name more votes. Because if it was a 'straight up' poll, there's no way they'd be getting as many votes as they appear to be getting.

Well actually it's the same both way round. And in fact there are more option for the "amusing" names, meaning that our votes are not directed into one title, just because you are not voting for a non-serious one doesn't mean we want to vote for a serious one.

This is why General Chat will fail as even something as simple as choosing a name causing so much up-roar it's silly.

Is it really causing that much of an uproar? Honestly? This is actually not too bad at all. If this is the extent of the uproar, then I think GC will actually do quite well.

llj

Have a look again. If you were to combine the 2, one would be the winner at the moment. It has more votes than anything in either section. That's general chat.
And of course the silly names are getting lots of votes. You have to have a vote on both. So even if you want general chat, you have to vot a silly name.

That shouldn't be the case though, for it to be a fair poll they all have to be in the same poll, why should I vote for one which I don't even like? There should be no mandatory requirement to vote for both, you should be able to choose the one you like.

That shouldn't be the case though, for it to be a fair poll they all have to be in the same poll, why should I vote for one which I don't even like? There should be no mandatory requirement to vote for both, you should be able to choose the one you like.

Choose the one you like, and an other, then vote in the second round for the final choice...I don't see why this is such a problem really. It's a trade off to give everyone the choice of sensible versus silly at the end...makes sense to me as this was a concern in the early discussions..

Why such a big deal anyway, surely having a general forum for non fish discussions is what this is about and not the name per say...at least we get a vote...

I don't know, maybe it would have been easier if the moderators just went ahead and set something up themselves without our input, we can't agree on the voting system, let alone a name
laugh.gif

Have a look again. If you were to combine the 2, one would be the winner at the moment. It has more votes than anything in either section. That's general chat.
And of course the silly names are getting lots of votes. You have to have a vote on both. So even if you want general chat, you have to vot a silly name.

The point is, if it was a single option poll, the outcome would presumably be something like General first, then Open, then whatever (because I can't be bothered to work it out). The naff options would be waay down below. But with a two poll system, suddenly it's between General and Great Escape, which would never have happened otherwise.

The point is, if it was a single option poll, the outcome would presumably be something like General first, then Open, then whatever (because I can't be bothered to work it out). The naff options would be waay down below. But with a two poll system, suddenly it's between General and Great Escape, which would never have happened otherwise.

Hind sight is a lovely thing though...I agree the way things stand we'd be better positioned for a sensible forum name is it was one long list - I too don't want to see a silly name. But would you be saying the same thing if Chum Bucket was the most voted option...if enough of us want a sensible it will happen...

I think it's just a bit of over-reacting. The poll asks you to vote for one in each. It simply asks you to choose which title in each poll is most popular. Each is an individual contest per se, so, if you vote, you are saying which one you like best in EACH one. Nothing should be artificially elevated. When this is done, the two most popular will be listed. THEN, all those who are NOT in favor of a humorous title will have the chance to vote it down.

If this was ONE poll, undivided, you would face the same choice if you liked two names. All of the membership, right now, seem to like The Great Escape and plain ol' General Chat. Those appear to be the next poll choices. If the same 41 members vote, it would be no difference if having to choose between ANY two names. For those who choose not to vote because they don't want to vote on two separate 'unrelated' polls, they remove their say on the non-humuorous choice.

SH

General chat....and...the chum bucket and The Great Escape are neck and neck. LOL. :hyper:

SH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back