Fuzz Algae In New Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishSticks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello I have a 55 gallon aquarium that has been running for a little over 2 weeks. I haven't added an fertilizer and I have no Co2 system and I only have 30 watts of lighting. I'm starting to see a bunch of fuzz algae, according to this site (the algae in my tank is not as green), growing on my driftwood and the Java Ferns planted on them. I know I could buy some oto's to get rid of the algae, but I don't want to add any delicate fish to it since I don't think my tank is fully cycled. :unsure: Is this algae bad for my plants? Will it spread and hurt my plants if I wait for the tank to cycle to add the oto's?

I added a pleco today from another tank to the 55 but it doesn't seem interested in the hair algae. :/

That algae is probably from the new wood. Does it look like a transparent slime on the wood? I've had this happen everytime I've added new Mopani wood to an established tank. I believe it's totally harmless. It just looks kind of gross. You can rub it off with your fingers if you want. I introduced one of my true SAE to it and it was eaten in a day or so. It is natural to get algae in a newly established tank, but I think your still at least a few weeks away from that, and then it will be a brown algae that is nothing to worry about.

Colin

The algae on the wood does look a bit more slimy then the one on the Java Ferns. I'll just wait a couple weeks before adding a couple otos in there. One more question...I bought this fertilizer and added the right amount as instructed but it doen't say how often to re-add or how much? :blink: Any suggestions?

I do have a suggestion. Not to be rude, but don't bother adding any nutrients or CO2. Your light level is 0.54 Watts Per Gallon. This is extremely low. Low light for growing plants in an aquarium is usually considered to be in the neighbourhood of 2WPG. Java ferns and mosses can survive in low light tanks. They probably will grow in your tank, but slowly. These plants are darn near impossible to kill. They really shouldn't require you to add any nutrients. They will get by on the wastes in the water already.

If you want to really get into planted tanks (which you will not regret, trust me), I'd suggest upgrading your lights to a power compact hood. Coralife has a Freshwater Aqualight series that is ideal for planted tanks. it seems to me there are a few online sources for these in the US where they are relativley cheap. There are also more brands available in the US (compared to Canada) that are designed for planted tanks.

Do you have any plants in your tank other than the java fern? Also, what fish are already in the tank?

Colin

Not to be rude or anything but...I KNOW I KNOW! I can't seem to find any way to upgrade my wattage without spending almost as much as I spend on my tank, fish, plants, and stand all put together. :crazy: Actually I can't even find a 55 gallon tank hood around where I live that isn't divided into two 15 Watt lamps! If you could find some place on the internet where I could buy exactly what I need, you would be my favorite person in the world! :wub:
This is what I have...

55 Gallon Aquarium (48"L x 13"W x 20"H)
  • 5 Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae)
  • 2 Crispus (Aponogeton crispus)
  • Planted Driftwood Java Fern Tree
  • 2 Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides)
  • 3 Anacharis (Egeria densa)
  • 2 Red Rubin (Echinodorus rubin)
  • 6 Quarter Size Angelfish
  • 2" Common Pleco

OK, true enough the lighting intended for planted tanks often requires one to assume an uncomfortable position to pay for them. There is a very cheap solution for you, though. You have a good tank size for a cheap and simple DIY setup. At any hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc...) you can purchase 4 foot fluorescent shoplight fixtures (40W per cheap bulb). You may be able to find some that will take 4 lights. I think the 2 light 4' fixtures are more common. they cost anywhere from $8 to $20 each, and some of them come with the chains to suspend them from the ceiling. If you were to get two of these dual light strip lights, you would have 160W or 2.9WPG. You can buy 48" daylight spectrum bulbs for about $5 each. have a look at this link to the lighting section of the home depot website. From the lighting section you want to go to "Fluorescent Lighting > Troffers, Strips & Shop Lights " on the toolbar on the left of the screen.

Colin

I have those home depot lights and they work great but it would be a total of 120W not 160W. 30W Bulbs x 4 bulbs :)

Hmm, the 48" fixtures available here are for 40W maximum bulbs. I suppose there's probably a few different powers available. I'd just look for the daylight (or anything in the 6700K range) 40W bulbs.

Colin

You hang them so they're inches away from the top of the tank. You can buy appropriate weight chain at any hardware store by the foot. You can always build a canopy to go over the top of the tank, but this may really limit your ability to get in and out of the tank if needed.

Colin

You're my favorite person in the world :wub: I will go first thing tomorrow after work to Home Depot. :D Which one is better? Light spectrum emitted: 4200K or 1800K ? I guess I won't be able to get those clown loaches I really wanted anymore :p Exactly how many inches away from the water can/should the light strips be?

You can still save some more money and get the light bulbs at the hardware store as well. I know at my home depot there is a poster showing which ones are good for different applications, including Plant & Aquarium and Daylight bulbs. You should be able to find some that are 6500K at the hardware store. They will be loads cheaper than the ones packaged for aquariums at pet stores.

EDIT: I'd suggest hanging them about 6" above the water. This way you still have room to mess around in the tank if need be...

Colin

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back