fry in a box don't grow

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Angel03

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Right ive had 4 guppie fry in a box for 3 weeks now i they don't seem to be growing does this happen , i also added some new molly fry in the same box that were born 2 days ago and they are bigger than the guppie fry , i also have a swordtail fry that i salvaged from the tank , the only serviver :( thanks :)

i noticed that the ones i left in teh tank to fend for themselves seemed to grow faster than those i'd separated. maybe they just got food or its possible that being confined does stunt the growth a bit. but i also noticed that it wasn't until around 5 or 6 weeks that they really seemed to have a growth spurt. at that point, theyre usually big enought to go back into the main tank (rule is, as long as they are too big to fit into the mouths of any adult fish in the tnak, they'll be safe). now these wre mollies.
molly fry are going to be a bit bigger than guppies, theyre bigger fish.

I think the space has something to do with it

Goldfish in a pond grow 2-3 inches larger than those in a tank
They live 3-4 years longer too!

the box thing is sorta true.........fish in there grow way slower than fish in the tank free.......i had my guppies in there 4 awhile and they didn't grow very fast......then i released them into the tank and at the same time i had platy fry and the platies caught up the the gups withing 1 month........i think the guppies were 4 months old at that point...........whoa that didn't make sense sry

yeah my guppy fry we're growing quite slow in a box, but when i moved them too they're own tank they pretty much literally doubled their size in a week

mine too!!!i had mine on sept 29th, but they still look like only a few weeks old! (give them a month)!! I dun know should i release them into the main tank, cuz they seem very small relatvie to the other guppies in the tank! :huh:

yup i found that the ones not in the box were getting bigger quicker than those in the box, obviously the better the food e.g stuff lying in the tank the bigger they get!!!

I noticed that the fry that somehow survived in my community tank grew a lot faster than the fry I had separated into a fry tank or into breeder nets. But then I realized that the community tank had been cycled for a lot longer than the fry tank. I think space has a big effect on growth. I have also heard that light can have an effect but I don't know if its true. I have noticed that the fry in the community tank (which has a light) are a lot more colorful than the fry in the tank without the light.

I wish i could put them in the tank but my unamed tetras will most sertainly eat them, wished i new what they were called these tetras i can't seem to find them on the net :blink: they look like peranas , don't think i spelt that right :S

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back