Fry Disappearing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elisabeth

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had about 45 krib fry which are a week old and that i keep in a small tank along with 3 day old guppy fry. But the kribs are disappearing. I only have 8 or 9 left now.
There's no substrate on the floor and I haven't seen any dead bodies on the bottom of the tank. I didn't put any nylon over the filter as I couldn't work out how to attach it, but i turned the filter right down and I've seen the fry happily swim in and out of the filter so i don't think they've got sucked into it. I've also checked inside there and I've not seen any fry or bodies there.
I'm mystified :huh: Anyone any ideas?

Do you have any foliage floating on the water surface. If you have, they might be in there. Also check inside your pump just in case

Do you have any mature fish in the tank or is it all fry

If you could leave us a list of the water parameters, PH, hardness, Ammonia nitrIte and nitrAte, and temperature, we can see if any of this needs to be changed

A simple way of covering the filter is to cut the foot off a old pair of tights,slip it over the filter and secure it with a elastic band.

Sorry, think i was a bit premature. I've just found them. I took the tank to pieces and they'd somehow managed to get into this tiny space between the back of the filter compartment and the glass. They were loads of them hanging out quite happily there. Am very relieved. I couldn't work out why there seemed to be fewer and fewer every time I checked on them.

Thanks for the advice Kryten and CFC and I like the idea about the tights.

Would like to know if I'm ok to leave the kribs and the guppies together. Anyone know if I may come across any problems in future?, apart from them getting bigger and outgrowing the tank.

The krib parents may end up killing your guppies!!

Guppies are notorious for eating their fry and may mis-identify the krib fry as their own. If they attempt to eat them, the kribs will defend the fry to the death!!

The nylon stocking is a good idea..........another one is to buy a nylon madia bag at yopu lfs and use it in the same fashion.

I would hesitate to use the stocking if its been washed, although years ago I have used them in a pinch!!

CM

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back